Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are our babies safe...

driver8M3

i'm sure most everyone here missed the demorat debate the other night...i did too. but i read an article about it later. it seems citizens asked questions through YouTube. this question was just plain awesome.

"Good evening, America. My name is Jered Townsend from Clio, Michigan," the YouTube citizen questioner began. "To all the candidates, tell me your position on gun control, as myself and other Americans really want to know if our babies are safe." Townsend then pulled out his Bushmaster AR-15. "This is my 'baby,' purchased under the 1994 gun ban. Please tell me your views. Thank you."

i'm sure this will be closed quickly if it turns into a political debate...i just thought it was pretty cool. way to go jered! :cheers:

Actually I did watch the debates.

("Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.")

While I appreciate the sentiment, I thought the manner in which Mr. Townsend asked his question caused him to come across as being a touch fanatical.

Shoving your Bushmaster into the camera lens and proclaiming "This is MY baby" is a little too "in your face" for general audiences.

Gun owners may have loved it but it's not helpful to scare the crap out of soccer moms from coast to coast.

I would have hoped he could have asked the question a little more diplomatically.

I believe Gov. Richardson made a comment regarding the need for better screening and a culture of violence.

The other candidate to address the question was Senator Joe Biden.

His response was: "If that is your baby you need help".

He made additional comments to the effect that the questioner may be unbalanced and may have just disqualified himself as a legitimate gun owner.

His final remark was "I hope he doesn't come looking for me."

Its a shame that none of the other candidates addressed the issue.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

Ordinarily I wouldn't engage a political topic here but I was EXTREMELY disappointed in both the choice of YouTube video on this one AND the lack of response from candidates--not to mention the frenetic response from Joe Biden. There must've been lots of other videos to choose from (unless only the more radical gun-owning folks chose to enter) that calmly addressed the issue of firearms. I, too, flinched a little on seeing the selection on the AR--not that I have ANYTHING against ARs... I'm saving up for one--but it was (as usual) the wrong image to use in portraying the average, responsible gun-owner who might ask the same question or have the same sentiment. It did much to exacerbate an already touchy and precarious problem.

Democratic debate? I believe they chose Mr. Townsend's video for very obvious reasons. <_<

BINGO!

Thousands to choose from.............

Edited by rvb

Media reaction here (LA times):

LINK TO LA TIMES

or

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/a...1&cset=true

Seems Biden questioned the man's mental fitness to own "that" gun.

In the wake of the tragedy at VA Tech, I suppose we should not be surprised to see the issues of gun ownership, mental health records, and personal privacy cross paths.

I believe that the fact that the other candidates remained silent spoke volumes about their position, as did Senator Biden's comments.

Leo you can bet we will see this again many times as the election draws near.

pat