Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rediscovering how to shoot

Pierruiggi

I haven't shot "seriously" for about 2 years now, and since I have a new, more "IPSC relevant" gun with cheaper ammo, a Glock 17, I started to shoot again.

At first I was dismayed to see what the lack of practice does to you. Ok, it's like riding a bike, you don't forget, but damn it, I was rusty! Trigger control? Huh? What's that? Target aquisition? Nope, never heard of it... Recoil control? What? Isn't your weak hand supposed to slip from the gun? Calling your shots? That's when you blink, right?

Well, I have no holster yet, but I've started to dryfire again to regain my lost skills, plus I'm putting a healthy solid dose of live shooting in the mix, and I'm happy to say that I've improved a lot in 2 weeks.

At just shy of the 1000 round mark, I'm already starting to like the trigger and I'm able to do some 2 inch 10 round groups at 15 yards. Not much, but you should see my first 50 rounds through the gun... On second thought, no, maybe you shouldn't...

Also, my support hand doesn't slip anymore, and I'm waaaay more comfortable tracking the sights. I don't have to think about where my hands are, or my thumbs, or about pressing the trigger straight back... It's starting to happen again on it's own.

One thing though, Glock slide bite hurts a lot! I have a huge gash on the web of my hand... I've got to remember it doesn't have a beavertail to keep my hand from going TOO high...

It sucks to loose your skills, but it's a trhill getting them back! :lol:

About a tip for improvement, I'd say "don't lose your head, trust in yourself, apply the fundamentals and the rest will follow".

Hey, Pierruiggi, I'm in the same boat: trying to come back to practical shooting right now, after eight years of retirement. Still waiting for a holster and doing my shooter register at a club to be abble to buy reloading material and finally start shooting again. Hope I can solve everything in a month, because I can hardly wait to start shooting again!!! :)

Kind regards,

Demetrio.

Hell I pile in too. Maybe we should start a range diary or something.

My gear (holster, belt, mags etc. etc.) haven't showed up yet either so I'm still just picking up the blaster and screwing around.

Have a load almost worked out (one more test then I'm done). Then I'll chrono to "be sure." Plus, the heater is shooting a touch left so I need to put it in the press and get that dialed in.

Outside of that - I plan on shooting my first match next month - it'll have been 2 years. But of course, 2 years ago, it had been . . . 2 years. And then again 2 years before that.

Hey - I got married 7 years ago and am going strong - so don't ya'll think I have committment problems!!!!! :P

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotta say: if you haven't at least put a 3.5 connector in that Glock, you're doing yourself a disservice. The G17 is a wonderful pistol for a lot of reasons, but the trigger ain't one of them. At the minimum, put a 3.5 connector in and give the various bearing surfaces of the trigger pull a polish.

H.

I've gotta say: if you haven't at least put a 3.5 connector in that Glock, you're doing yourself a disservice. The G17 is a wonderful pistol for a lot of reasons, but the trigger ain't one of them. At the minimum, put a 3.5 connector in and give the various bearing surfaces of the trigger pull a polish.

But... isn't 5.0 lb the trigger weight limit for Production Division? How can I put one on my Glock and keep it legal for PD? :surprise::unsure: