Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Locking Back

grassy knoll

dales para 16-40 locks back with one round left in the mag, slide stop has been replaced and now

what else could be causing this?

now my gun is doing it with a couple of mags consistently, are there specific dimensions for the mag feed lips, i can adjust the feed lips but i would like to know to what?

Some years ago I had a similar problem, and was also advised (not by my gunsmith) to start judiciously clipping the mag springs, which I did. It didn't help, and my gunsmith raised hell with me........ before he replaced my mag springs with new UNCLIPPED ones. He then fiddled with the angle of the top coils for about 2 minutes per spring, and WELLA......... perfection. He then told me he was putting me on "probation" as his client/customer/friend, but that I was out if I ever did that again without consulting him!

Think long and hard before clipping those springs.

Jeff

I had the same problem with my SVI 4 magazines (I use them in a SVI Competition for Standard Division).

Never found out what was causing this strange behaviour, that was reported by a lot of teammates shooting the same guns, BTW.

I solved my problem cutting the follower edge that raises the slide stop with a sharp cutter.

I think that bending or clipping a spring is not a good idea, because it could alter the way the spring behaves when fully extended (i.e. when the spring force exerted on the follower is at its lowest).

Moreover, slimming the follower gave me one extra shot capacity in the magazines.

If you are interested, I may post some photos of the modified followers (they are Arredondo red ones): never had a failure to feed or jam, anyway.

I did like Skywalker on all my mags followers wether SV, Arredondo or original parts.

You can also drill a little bit more the slide stop to prevent any movement but it will remain in the "down" postion and wouldn't lock your slide back.

That's what I did on my open gun as I don't use the slide stop .

Looks like the phrase "slimming the follower gave me one extra shot capacity in the magazines" woke up some noble interest from a round table knight: maybe he will trade his glock for a 1911 style gun. ;)

I will obviously be very happy to share the photos of the followers I modified, but you will have to wait until tuesday at least, because I don't have them handy, and this evening I'm leaving for some touring and shooting in that wonderful city named Vienna.

While there I'll try to take some good shots :D to bring back and share with the forum members in the Gallery forum.

Julien,

they are regular 120mm mags with a basepad that is a little deeper than the Dawson. I can stuff 18 in the mag with Dawson pad, but it's a little harder.

Of all the 16 rnd stages we shot at the WSXIII I only reloaded once. That was the stage where we had to start with an emtpy and holstered gun.

even

I had that problem with a BULm5 in .45 with 10 round mags. Take the slide off, insert mag with one round of ball ammo. If the round moves the slide stop up , remove the slide stop and file where the ammo rubbed against the inside of the slide stop. This was repeated until the ammo no longer touched the slide stop, but would still lock open when empty.

Do you have a special spring ?

Do you use the SPS plastic base pad ?

Which follower ?

True they are too soft, I left 3 of them to use for my modified but I'm constantly checking for the lips, and it's boring !

When I think about denis who bought the brazilian 19 rds mags 150$ each ;) !!!

• 2 weeks later...

okay we fixed it

on the slide stop we made the an indent for the plunger pin so that it would hold the slide stop in the down position even if mag adjustment isn't exact and the follower puts some pressure on the inside of the slide stop,

when the mag is empty the slide stop functions as it should and everything else is the same even when taking the gun apart or putting it back together