Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel

I noticed I tend to look for the hit on the steel instead trusting my call on it. Also, at times, looking for movement instead of moving on. If I'm not careful I take way to much time confirming the shot. I should "know" I hit it because I called the shot, but sometimes my mind waits an instant for movement or seeing the lead hit. I find this distracting because I should have already moved on. I think it might be due to the fact steel is something newer for me and the, "cool factor" of shooting steel has me gawking for a tenth or two.

Have any of you noticed this? I shot 19 poppers from 25yds... six of them were larger and the others were the minis. I shot it in 15.4. I know there was 2secs of gawk time in there. I was second behind a very good A open guy, but he took the time to run up 15 ft and shoot them from a charge line. I shot them from the box on a turn draw. I think his time was 12.xx.

Local match results were 2nd on two stages including the one I'm talking about here, and an 8th on one where I had a mag malfunction. My fault for not cleaning them. Anyway....

Thoughts?

Edited by JThompson

If you can watch your bullet splatter onto the plate, you won't be slower enough to matter (and you'll have plenty of followthru, which is good on steel). If you have to look for your hit afterwards, that's slow.

Setup some fresh-painted fixed steel sometime and watch the bullets splatter off it.. it's fun.

If you can watch your bullet splatter onto the plate, you won't be slower enough to matter (and you'll have plenty of followthru, which is good on steel). If you have to look for your hit afterwards, that's slow.

Setup some fresh-painted fixed steel sometime and watch the bullets splatter off it.. it's fun.

It is fun, sometimes I become a bit transfixed on the last shot and it can throw my timing off. I'll work it out, but it's something I noticed and worth noting here. :)

JT

Edited by JThompson

<_< I shoot mostly Steel / non falling Steel Challenge kind of steel. that is how I got my start. The only reason I can hold on to a mid A IPSC score is by calling my shot by what I see with the dot before my little brain can proccess a bullet splater on the steel. When my game is good I am makeing the shot on the next target buy the time my brain catches up.

All the things that you can see in a second or every 10th of a second. I find that my brain has made a recording of the stage and I can go back and rewind most of the shots. ...up to 20 or so. I notices when I am running a shooter I have a photo of most every hit & or the area the bullet passed.

But if the shooter was shooting a sign with printing I could not read the sign ...Its allmost like words in my brain are some-kind of strange moving shapes. :blink:

Sorry its ben Rainning for two weeks and the road to the range is under water. :blink:

Ok the thing is the Eyes are Fast and acurate, - The brain is slow- Think of it as driving fast your eyes / vision makes the car stay in postion on the road and if a another car cuts into you your "eyes" will keep you safe.

Your brain can catch up after the fact, and proccess all that happend. and let your hand know to hit the horn and flip then off.

IF you try some training to just take a few shots and after you have taken them review what you saw, like you mite rewind a video. If you trian to trust your eyes, it is posible to move on to the next the shot before the bullet arives on the target.

<_< Its the only way an Old Slow guy like me can keep up with the realy talented fast shooters. :blink: I just out train them

Edited by AlamoShooter

I think what happens is I'm shooting unconsciously and the bullet hitting the target brings my concious mind out of it's slumber and takes note of the hit. It's a kind of flip flop back and fourth. I'm going to train that out starting with my range time tomorrow.

Thanks for your input on the subject... all noted and appreciated. ;)

JT

EDIT Sorry to hear about the rain and not being able to get to the range. :(

Edited by JThompson

It is fun, sometimes I become a bit transfixed on the last shot and it can throw my timing off. I'll work it out, but it's something I noticed and worth noting here. :)

JT

Yeah, it's a practice thing for me. I don't watch the hits in the match unless I just happen to see them, which is pretty rare.