Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Briley Ultraport or Mag-Na-Port ProPort

norbs007

Just got a new 26" barrel for my 1100CM that I'm converting to Open and trying to decide which route to go in regards to porting. I can probably do the work if I have the tools, but rather have it done the right way. I limited my choices between the Briley and Mag-Na-Port. Thanks in advance.

It's just one guys opinion but neither briley or magnaport will do porting far enough back on the barrel to do US any good. If you can port 5-6 inches back from the muzzle the porting becomes so much more effective (esp. for slugs) for the type of shooting we do. The porting by briley and mp is designed more around lighter skeet/trap/sc games.

My advice is to do the porting yourself a little farther from the muzzle. Start slow and with only a few holes in order to gauge how it affects the gun cycling. Add more holes as you go to get the action you want.

Good luck, Craig

Second that Norbs. The porting on my Remmy ends just under 5 inches from the muzzle and is about two inches long. It is ported with two offset rows of holes on each side of the vent rib that are about .125" in diameter. They are drilled straight in on each rows axis and they are chamfered for a little flare on the exit side. The holes are really clean and flush on the inside. I think they were done with a milling machine rather than a drill press.

Has anyone called Magna-Port to see if they will move the ports further back? It is a great company to work with, I happened to be in Mt Clemens on my way to a gun show & I stopped to ask if they could port my Mossberg 500A barrel if I left it with them for a few days. They said they were doing shotgun barrels & if I had a couple hours they could do it while I waited. Since then I have sent them my Browning Citori barrels & a Remington 1100 barrel I use for skeet.

They have also done my Marlin 444, 10 1/2" barrel Super Blackhawk & mounted TSOB scope mounts & a 4" Nickel model 29.

Has anyone called Magna-Port to see if they will move the ports further back? It is a great company to work with, I happened to be in Mt Clemens on my way to a gun show & I stopped to ask if they could port my Mossberg 500A barrel if I left it with them for a few days. They said they were doing shotgun barrels & if I had a couple hours they could do it while I waited. Since then I have sent them my Browning Citori barrels & a Remington 1100 barrel I use for skeet.

They have also done my Marlin 444, 10 1/2" barrel Super Blackhawk & mounted TSOB scope mounts & a 4" Nickel model 29.

they did mine on a 26 rem barrel-had 'em back from muzzle about 7"

I did just that and this is Magnaport's reply:

We usually locate the porting just behind the choke area or about 2 inches back. I can run back 5 inches or locate around a bbl clamp if it is clearly marked and indicated with marker. If I go back 5 inches you may have to bump up the gas port if you experience cycle problems ...because this is non-standard location.

If you want it five inches back, clearly mark the barrel and indicate this in your instructions. Also indicate you are aware and assume responsible for resolving any potential cycle problems as a result.

With that said, I guess I have to open up the gas ports. I'm still looking for a local smith to do the work if I find one. Thanks for the help guys!

I doubt that any porting will require the gas ports opened up if the gun runs fine as it is. If it does need the ports opened up, it's simple job that can be done by hand (I did mine and so do many folks).

I doubt that any porting will require the gas ports opened up if the gun runs fine as it is. If it does need the ports opened up, it's simple job that can be done by hand (I did mine and so do many folks).

i had to open one of the two up...left one alone...

Yeah, it kinda' depends on what ammo you are shooting in it to start with. If you are using 2.75Dram lites in it now, ya' might need to open it up a bit. Using 3.25Dram+ stuff, it ain't gonna have any problems ;)