Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extra Shot/Hit Penalties

HoMiE

Shot a Virginia Count stage where some of the targets had black hard cover on lower half of target. I hit the hard cover and made up a shot. I was given an extra shot and extra hit penalty. Didn't have rule book so, I tried to argue that the shot into hard cover would be considered a miss, so why is it an extra hit. I should have only been given an extra shot penalty according to this rule correct?

9.4.5.2 Extra hits (i.e. hits on the scoring area of scoring paper targets in excess of the total number specified in the stage), will each incur one procedural penalty. Note that hits on hard cover and/or penalty targets are not treated as Extra Hits.

Seems like you were scored incorrectly. Full diameter into the hard cover would be a miss so the extra hit penalty would be an error. Hard to imagine that you had to put forth an arguement at all. Asking the Ro to reflect on this should have been enough.

Edited by RoyceLowellPatton

Its only a hit if its a scoring shot.

If its a scoring shot, its not a mike.

You could have had extra shot penalties, however, even if none of the extra shots score.

Did any of your hits break the line of the black hard cover and brown scoring area, touching both? That way you would have extra shots, and extra hits.

Or maybe the R.O. was just confused.

Did any of your hits break the line of the black hard cover and brown scoring area, touching both? That way you would have extra shots, and extra hits.

No the hit into the hardcover was 1 1/2" below cardboard scoring area, it was totally in the black area.

Without being there to see what happened, I'd say extra shot penalties -- yes, extra hit penalties -- no.

Absolutely! Extra hits are only counted when you hit a scoring target. Hits on no-shoots are not extra hits, although they are penalized, and hits on hard cover just don't count. You should have been penalized one extra shot, period.

Troy