Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Super Comp - sgl action to dbl action

dgross

I have the option to buy a EAA Witness "Super Competition" model (the type with the right-angled front corner on the trigger guard...)  It is currently set up for "single-action-only", though, and I would like to make it double-action.  A smith at EAA said that I can get the parts for that and change it myself; is anybody able to comment on how complicated this is or is not?  Any pins that have to be driven, for example? Thank you very much!

If I remember correctly, it's a different trigger, and an odd looking hook that attaches to the trigger bar that actuates the hammer in double action.  That's just off the top of my head, from making a SA P9 single action about 10 years ago.....

Having converted my witness to single action I can tell you it is very simple.  It is all in how the trigger made. I took out the double action trigger and installed the single action trigger, adjusted the takeup and overtravel and was ready to go. You basically have to remove the trigger and trigger bar/bow.  The trigger is pinned to the bow so you punch out the pin and pin on the DA trigger and then re-install it.

These replies have been great!  This is very encouraging.  Further question: so, does changing between single action and double action alter the *reach* that your finger has to do, for the finger-pad to sit flat on the trigger?  (A major reason I'm looking at the Witness is that the Sigs and the CZs require a finger reach that is too long for me [i.e., I can operate the pistol, of course, but the finger isn't flat on the trigger].)  Again, thank you all very much!

dgross  Yes it does change the reach by quite a bit 3/8" to a 1/2" maybe more.  I just went the other way from double to single action.  On my witness the double action sucked, it was a long and vary strong double action.  I had the single action in stalled and tuned to 2 1/2 lbs and crisp.  I love it.

Good luck.

I've swapped a bunch of triggers and I think it was just two pins that had to be dealt with. I do remember flailing with the spring, it was a bitch. I've never actually gone from SA back to DA. (Why would you want to? For IDPA SSP or USPSA Production?)

The standard DA trigger has a farther reach than any SA trigger.