Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

para alloy frame

wcmesa

I was wondering how many of you are running or have run a para alloy frame in lim/lim 10? My main inquirey is about the durability with a steady diet of 45acp major pf loads.

I was wondering how many of you are running or have run a para alloy frame in lim/lim 10? My main inquirey is about the durability with a steady diet of 45acp major pf loads.

BTDT, alloy frames do not stand up well to high volume shooting that we do in this sport. My first IPSC/USPSA had an alloy frame. I shot it so much the holes where the pins go through the frame became elongated and eventually had to "retire" the frame because no one could do a proper trigger job.

Alloy frames are designed to be carried a lot, not shot a lot.

My .02 :ph34r:

Kendall

The first gen Para frames were all alloy. At least two of mine became scrap running super through them. They were among the first hi cap open guns available to users.

Be careful. I would not run a lot of 10's through it.

My dad has an open .45 that is on an aluminum frame original p-13 .45. He shot it probably 7k rounds or so with no problem. He does not shoot anymore so its no big deal on that note.

I started this game with an alloy Para. It has about 45-50K rounds on it and is worn out. Slide to frame fit got somewhat loose, pin holes are getting a little oblong, and the thumb safety has eaten the bottom of the hole in the frame out pretty bad from the thumb pressure I put on it.

If you can afford to re-frame the gun every 40K rounds go for it. I still like the feel of the Para better and I REALLY REALLY like the light weight of the gun when built. I can't afford to put a new frame in every 40K so I went to STI, with a good grip contour and a little milling they get decently light too.