Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli With 1 Ounce Loads

lucas

I thougt i read back when i purchased my m1-practical that it wasnt a good idea to use 1 ounce loads?I have been using 4 bird w/1 1/4 ounce loads for a long time at my monthly match ,regardless of target or distance, and today i discovered that remington 6 bird 1 ounce loads work just fine with a lot and i mean alot less recoil.

I and many other members of this forum have been shooting the Benelli platform for many years. The gun is recoil operated so recoil is good. I have found that a minimum load is 1 1/8 oz shot @ 3 drams Equivalent. If you were shooting 1 1/4 oz factory loads, they were probably game loads @ 3 3/4 drams equivalent which have significant recoil. I have seen 1 oz loads run but don't know if they always run. Always running is the key. A factory load which I have found to run all the time is Finocchi (sp) White Rino. My hand loaded steel load is 1 1/4 oz @ 1200 with #5.

I have a Benelli M1S90, that I use for everything. I use 1oz 1200fps in it for targets and it shoots and feeds all the time.

I have had some people have problems when the guns are new with light loads and 1/2 the problems are that they do not firmly mount the gun and the other half are that the gun is so new and a little tight. I shot 500 1 1/8oz Winchester Black Ranger 3 3/4dram loads from new and that knocked it into shape. Never missed a beat since.

Keep it clean and lubed correctly. Never too much oil and never run it dry.

I am currently running a high speed (1375fps) 1oz #4 load for rabbits and a heavy 1 3/8oz #2 for feral cats.

The Benelli is very gentle with 1oz loads, it is due to the generally light weight of the gun and it's recoil system.

Mine runs fine with cheap Estate target load 1oz 7-1/2 shots - in warm weather. When it turned cold (below 30), then the inconsistency of this cheap load started to show up with misfeds and failed to eject.