Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do You Talk To The Eye Doctor About What You Need Your RX To Do

Overkill

Since the 80s I've had the right  lens set for a sharp front sight image and the left for distance.  This works well for me and some other people I know who do the same.  It won't work for some as it produces headaches or other minor problems.  Lenses aren't that expensive and you can always go back to the normal prescription if it doesn't work for you.

I've had my everyday prescription glasses setup like that for years

strong eye focused at the front sight, weak eye for distance, and it took a couple of day for my brain to adjust to them

wearing them everyday is normal to me, but if I had glasses set for distance, then switched to a pair of shooting glasses set up to see the front sight, I don't know if I could switch them back and forth seamlessly 

I found that it was best to put the shooting glasses on when I got up in the morning, no adjustment that way.

I have a friend who went the same route and he wears the "shooting" glasses all the time, calls them his "homemade bifocals".  I tried it and it works but I prefer to go back to the normal way I do things, glasses for distance and take them off for actual reading.

Had cataract surgery in both eyes and had the Doctor do the lenses like I had always been, glasses for distance and off for reading.  Backwards for most but I'd always been nearsighted and worn glasses.  Another advantage is you have your eyes protected with the glasses except when reading or sleeping and you don't have to carry a pair of reading glasses around with you.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a pair made a few years ago with right eye (dominant) front sight focus, left eye distance.  I really could see the front sight well but the targets were a blur.

Shooting a multi gun match last year on a prone stage, dust was kicked up by my comp and was in perfect focus obliterating any view at the target.  I needed to change.

I ordered a pair of reading sunglasses from an online outlet, left eye 1.5, right clear for a trial. $39.  In my first pistol match of the season, I won my division.  Not a usual occurrence for me.  I went and had an eye exam and had the glasses corrected to my new findings.

With either configuration they feel funny when I put them on, which goes away when I shoot and I definately feel eye strain when I take them off.  That also corrects quickly.