Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lymann tumbler and media

scribble

I just received my new lyman 1200 auto-flo tumbler new, it came with 3 small bags of green media. I decided to try there media out on some dirty 45 cases. I have had the cases sitting on the shelf in an akro bin for 2 weeks. I started the tumbler with 250 cases in it and set the timer for 2 hours. I came back to find the cases were dirtier than when I started and the bowl looked like the media has melted to and stained the inside. I started with a Lyman orange bowl inside and ended up with this:

P6270008.jpg

O and I tried cleaning it but nothing work, I even tried a heavy scotch bright pad but it wouldn't touch it.

Edited by cooter79

mine too, cept it's red from thier red media, and by the way in case you havent figured it out, Dont use Lyman media, especially the red. It disolves into a dust and it will destroy the motor. Just buy the bulk, about $15 for 25lbs untreated corncob and get a bottle of midway, flitz, or dillon media solvent.

I just got off the phone with Lyman and they told me that the green stuff is the polish compound in there media that is sticking to the case. They also said I didn't tumble them long enough, they said minimum to tumble is 4 hours. I guess I will try and tumble some more tonight and go from there.

I have some of Lyman's walnut media with a reddish rough on it, the walnut is sort of a coarse grind. It's really done a great job for me, I have polished cases that had been reloaded maybe 6-8 times without a cleaning, and the cases really gleam now. There was a reddish dust on everything (cases and bowl) so I just ran the cases thru some old corncob media with no polish in it, and everything came out shining (15-20 minutes). I'm assuming the red dust was just from the rouge on the walnut, and will not hurt anything.

I am familiar with dust left behind but this is like a melted on rough coating. I washed it and even scrubbed with a scotchbright pad and it didin't even fase it. I heard back from LYman by e-mail that they think a large clump of compound and media formed a ball and adhered itself to the bowl internals. They are sending me a new bowl and more media.

Ya I agree on the media part. I tumbled some corn media that I normally use in there with teh casess from the original batch and some nu-finish and a good portion of the green sludge was removed but there is still alot of etching in it from the first tumble. The brass came out nice and shinny this time, but I am not going to turn down another bowl to replace this one.