Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Weight: Where do YOU Measure It?

bountyhunter

1911 shooters measure their trigger at the middle cos thats where it is lowest, have you ever seen a 1911 shooter measure his trigger at the bottom or on top???

w/c means ill measure my trigger also where it is lowest....all the way to the bottom ;)

I would think that you would measure your trigger pull at the position where your finger sits on the trigger. If you measure a 3 pound pull at the bottom (with a longer pull I might add) you would be pulling on a greater pull in the middle.

It may not even be but a few ounces, but it would be different. Possibly not even noticeable.

FWIW

dj

I measure it at the bottom, because

1. It's the best place to consistently break at the same number over & over

2. I've put built-up tape on the trigger to measure higher up, breaks almost the same #

3. It's where I pull the trigger anyway, and

4. It's the same place a stock glock reads 6 lbs [not 5] and a stock 3.5 connector reads 4.5 lbs.

You can go higher up on the trigger but if you're careful to pull at 90deg from the face at any point, you'll still get about the same number, within 1/4 lb.

I would think that you would measure your trigger pull at the position where your finger sits on the trigger. If you measure a 3 pound pull at the bottom (with a longer pull I might add) you would be pulling on a greater pull in the middle.

It may not even be but a few ounces, but it would be different. Possibly not even noticeable.

FWIW

dj

It makes a HUGE difference on a pivoting trigger like the Glock's (unlike the 1911) because the pivot point forms a lever and the force required is liner as you go up and down the face of the trigger. For example, my G35 with the Sotelo trigger is about 1.8# down near the end of the trigger but more like 2.5# a little ways up where the finger would normally engage it.

hence my asking where everybody measures theirs....

You can go higher up on the trigger but if you're careful to pull at 90deg from the face at any point, you'll still get about the same number, within 1/4 lb.

I don't see that on mine. As I walk up the trigger face nearer to the pivot point, the force increases a lot. The law of leverage still applies to a pivoting lever.