Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oh My Back

Jon Merricks

While working under the house yesterday I pulled the muscles in my lower back. I never new something could hurt so bad. Looks like I'll be out of work for a week and can't even shoot or reload, what a bummer. Can't do much sitting either. See yall in a couple of days.

when you are able, you might try to do some ab crunches. I know this doesn't sound like fun, but anatomically, it makes sense. Your back muscles (lower ones specifically) are opposed by your abdominals (stomach) muscles. The two muscles act in concert to keep your torso upright. If one set is too weak (typically the stomach) the other set trys to make up for it, and WHAM!!! Back strain.

and remember, crunches, not full (or partial) sit ups. go easy, over time, it will help

(as a disclaimer, I am not a doctor, so if you have a question, consult yours. I was an athletic trainer for a short while in college, and this is one of the things that has stuck with me)

BigDave is right. Your abs and lower back are considered to be the core of your body. The better condition they are in, the better you can absorb punishment.

My Mom's back goes out a few times a year. If it hurts her back as much as my ears, she has to be in some serious pain.

I don't know if this is true or not, but as far as I know if you pull your back out once you are far more susceptable to it in the future.

Been there, done that, multiple times.

The crunches really do help. It also helps with "IPSC Bulge". ;)

I have one of those vibrating heat pad things (Homedics if memory serves) which really helps relax the back muscles.

A significant amount of the problem with this type of back injury is that your muscles start "guarding" against the pain and you get additional straining.

Alternating heat and cold helps me but doesn't help everyone (my wife for instance).

Not a doctor, but have suffered with chronic back problems for 20+ years.

Get well soon Jon!!!!

Big Dave is right about the tummy crunches supporting the opposite side of the lower torso, etc. With both back injuries AND the new replacement hip, I returned to the tummy crunch routine to develop the support needed in the pelvic girdle to protect the new hip--and allow it to function more normally. It ended up helping the back, too. It keeps the hips loose which is good for keeping strain off that lower back. Everything's connected.

Yes, tummy crunches. Very good idea. Don't even have to do hundreds of them or anything... just do them every day. It's the consistency in doin' 'em that works. :)

Thanks for all the kinds words. As I was sitting in the ER I told my wife that if I was in a little better shape this would not have happened. I'm starting to feel a little better, I can even sit in front of the computer for a few minutes.

Thanks again everybody.