Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with Wilson 40S&W

WickedBag

I've finished breaking-in a new Wilson 40S&W model and I've run into an issue with magazines. Since Wilson will not sell the 40 mags, I've had to run the 8-rd .45ACP Wilson mags and I'm running into an issue where the rounds slide forward in the mag and I suspect the slide stop is getting glanced by a round and causing the slide to lock open. I had originally assumed I was "thumbing" the outside of the slidestop and somehow conbributing to this problem, but I learned yesterday while shooting one-handed that this not caused by my left thumb. I also learned I need to practice one-handed shooting :(

I've done extensive searching and learned about the issue as I've described it above. There are many mag options and I can file the stop to make it work correctly. Here's the real issue I need to ask about:

The 2-mags I got from Wilson both have a formed raised section that runs vertically on the left side of the mag(viewed from behind gun). What this appears to accomplish is to make the rounds fit more tightly in the mag, but I also believe that it also keeps the bullets away from the slide stop when feeding rounds. It shifts the nose towards the right side of the mag. I was testing with the .45ACP Wilson Mags and a few CMC Powermags and a Metalform .40 mag. The Metalform has two rolled vertical ridges, but they end up centering the round in the mag. All three branks cause the issue to happen occasionally.

I'm going to be talking with Wilson CS today, but I wanted to see first if anyone had run into the same specific issue with the Wilson 40 and how they resolved it. Since I can't get additional 40 mags from Wilson at this time, I've only been testing with other options. Has anyone run into this exact issue and worked aroudn it successfully? I'm planning on filing the stop a small amount, but the stop may be setup perfectly for the Wilson mags and it may make sense to put another stop in there and custom-size the new one.

I appreciate any feedback someone may have.

thanks.

- John

Edited by WickedBag

You need to be careful filing on the stop...not because it might break. But because if you file it too much in the wrong spot, the mags will not eject as well. If you have never thought about it, the bottom of the stop helps to push the mag out of the gun when the mag is empty...even if the stop is modified to not lock back. I would just buy wilson mags if they work 100%.

I would just buy wilson mags if they work 100%.

The Wilson 40 mags are not currently an option so I'm stuck with other brands if I want more than the original two. I knew of this supply issue from Wilson when I decided to buy the 40, but figured the 45 mags would be a temporary solution.

The new Wilson 10mm/.40 mags are the bomb..they are really designed for 10mm, but will work OK in .40.

Just order some, they are simply on backorder due to popularity.

You are correct on that one. I got some bad info before regarding the mags. It's the Wilson 9mm mags that are on extended delay which is now looking like late this year. I now have some of the .40 on order and will try them all out.