Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stiff-loading Benelli.....

STInky

Hey Guys & Gals....

I've got a new 24" M2 with Comfor-Tech stock & Nordic 8 round mag tube with their mag spring (as is from Nordic, not been cut). I haven't shot her but roughly 200 rounds so far, but I've practiced loading quite a bit. And man, it sure seems "stiff" to load....The shell carrier moves fine & freely out of the way, but it seems the carrier latch is overly stiff and I really have to muscle the shells in to the tube.

This has really slowed my loading times over my prior Benelli. Will this get better with time or does it need to be adjusted ?????

I know the first word out of everyones mouth is going to be "BENNY", and I may wind up sending it to him for some work, but is this something I can fix myself or have some one locally work on ?????

Thanks

The carrier latch springs on the M2s are WAY to tight. I take them out and colapse them with pliers. I also polish the heck out of the carrier latch where the shells slide past almost make a U in the darn thing, but leave the top and bottom edges alone. This slickes them up nicelyand then feels almost as smooth as an M1. Or you con replace the latch with anm M1 and spring also. Kurtm

The carrier latch springs on the M2s are WAY to tight. I take them out and colapse them with pliers. I also polish the heck out of the carrier latch where the shells slide past almost make a U in the darn thing, but leave the top and bottom edges alone. This slickes them up nicelyand then feels almost as smooth as an M1. Or you con replace the latch with anm M1 and spring also. Kurtm

Hi Kurt

Why collapse the spring ? looking at the spring & the latch pivot point it seems to be working with you in pushing the latch out of the way when shells feed out from the magazine & when you push them into it, its the shape of the latch at the end which seems to be different & makes the shells harder to insert ? when I fitted my enlarged carrier release button I removed the latch & bent it slightly at the point where the two indentations are cut into the top & botton edges of the latch about an inch back from the front end & polished it as you mentioned, it works great now.

n

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Kurt

Why collapse the spring ? looking at the spring & the latch pivot point it seems to be working with you in pushing the latch out of the way when shells feed out from the magazine & when you push them into it, its the shape of the latch at the end which seems to be different & makes the shells harder to insert ? when I fitted my enlarged carrier release button I removed the latch & bent it slightly at the point where the two indentations are cut into the top & botton edges of the latch about an inch back from the front end & polished it as you mentioned, it works great now.

n

hi neil

i seem to remember i had to do the very same thing for a friend of mine, on his m2 not long ago,

he had ground to much off the latch that the shells would pop back out of the mag tube as he loaded ( not good )

so anyone who do this (MOD) go carefully! also if you have to tweak the latch take care as this is very hard and brittle

martino

• 1 month later...

I couldn't resist trying to tweak the Carrier Latch to improve loading. I had already polished the latch well but it seemed to have excessive engagement with the rim of the shell ~2.5+mm. I'm now afraid I may have reduce the engagement too much ~ 1.0+mm. Can anyone comment on what the minimum might be?

I have dry cycled about 100 rounds thought it and it works good but I won't have a chance to fire it until Saturday with a match Sunday.

I just reread this post and saw Kurt's comment about leaving the top and bottom edges alone...OOPs :bow:

Kurt's solution works and I know because that is what my gunsmith, Henry Avant, did to mine and several others. I just wish I had read it here first and I could have done it myself. Based on what I have read here and on other threads, we need an "ASK KURT" thread since he is very adapt at walking through the rest of us through a solution. :cheers: Thanks Kurt. Charles Bond

• 4 months later...
Hey Guys & Gals....

I've got a new 24" M2 with Comfor-Tech stock & Nordic 8 round mag tube with their mag spring (as is from Nordic, not been cut). I haven't shot her but roughly 200 rounds so far, but I've practiced loading quite a bit. And man, it sure seems "stiff" to load....The shell carrier moves fine & freely out of the way, but it seems the carrier latch is overly stiff and I really have to muscle the shells in to the tube.

This has really slowed my loading times over my prior Benelli. Will this get better with time or does it need to be adjusted ?????

I know the first word out of everyones mouth is going to be "BENNY", and I may wind up sending it to him for some work, but is this something I can fix myself or have some one locally work on ?????

Thanks

As bigbrowndog said, you need to also adjust your spring length. The spring Nordic supplies is over-long and they recommend in their instructions to trim as needed to fit. Should be something in the instructions about it.

Edited by Cactustactical

As bigbrowndog said, you need to also adjust your spring length. The spring Nordic supplies is over-long and they recommend in their instructions to trim as needed to fit. Should be something in the instructions about it.

I read in one of Benny's posts that you should use the Benelli (long) magazine spring available from Brownells part #301-000-115 & do not cut it,

I fitted one into my Nordic tubed M2 & have not had any trouble.

N