Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for Improvement Tips

rwmagnus

I'm a C-Class shooter and been shooting Open for a few months. I have seen some improvement especially in the area of keeping my eyes on the target and not shifiting back to the dot. That said this is my first attempt at posting a video. Included arer three runs, the first two were what I consider average and the third I pushed the speed to see how much I could improve while keeping the hits. So as the title says got any tips or see anything maybe I didn't (aside from a painfully slow draw)

3 IPSC paper targets set at 15 yards two yards apart with 3 full size popers inbetween another yard back. The drill was two Alphs on paper, one on steel.

http://video.google.com/videouploadfinishe...6fcae81d60f4066

HAMMER the draw, and work in a mirror for a while. Forget the weak hand on the belly thing, Your hands should raise up TOGETHER, both should come up the same amount at the same speed, form your grip early so you can press out and shoot the instant you see the dot in the A zone. Your EYES operate the trigger, your finger just does what it does in response to what you see. If the dot is in the A somewhere trigger the shot, given sound fundamentals you have the trigger prepped and ready to go before the dot settles so you just add a tiny bit and it shoots again when your eyes tell it to.

Get up on the balls of your feet, your shooting stance should be a lot like being ready to run from something in ANY given direction at the instant you decide you need to run. Feel athletic, feel ready, feel coiled and ready to spring but not tense while shooting.

Thanks guys. I don't know why my draw was so slow during this drill. I did some draw/reload drills to finish the day and at a 3 yard target I was getting 1.19- 1.52 second draws with reloads being 1.40-1.90 seconds. Targets at point blank (2 feet) I can hit sub 1 second draws so why at 15 yards am why am I so slow? Part of it is I want the Alpha hit. Your points are all on the money. A general theme over the past year is I'm not agressive enough. Seems like I need to adopt a mindset that it's okay to give up a few more points for faster stages ie: the last run here with a 10 vs 8 hit factor. Generally I shoot 90-95% of points and find myself shooting in a comfort cadence zone rather than being agressive and let my vision dictate the speed. I'm still a better iron sights shooter but that dot sure is nice for the distance stuff!

I also noticed on the draw not breaking the shot once the dot was in the alpha zone. All that bullseye shooting I did many years ago and I still find myself centering up shots rather than taking the quicker Alpha.

Thanks for the tips.

Don't give up the points, just TAKE them faster. Really hone in hard on what you see and what you don't see when you don't get an A. Shoot absolutely as aggressively as you can shoot A's, take the few C's that will come from that intention.

I also noticed on the draw not breaking the shot once the dot was in the alpha zone. All that bullseye shooting I did many years ago and I still find myself centering up shots rather than taking the quicker Alpha.

Use the entire A zone. A hit on the perf counts tha same as one in the center. It is a huge area if you are used to precision shooting.

You want to break the shot at the earliest instant the sights enter the A.

Sounds like you know that, you just aren't doing it. :mellow:

..dropping your head to meet the gun.. that disturbs your perception of the image hence longer verification at the end of the draw.. keep head steady, focus on spot on target you want to shoot, bring dot up to that spot and shoot the spot..