Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carrying Equipment on a Motorcycle

I am considering riding my nifty new toy to the Nats in Tulsa.

Now the trick is getting a weeks worth of shooting stuff there. Belt, ammo, clothes, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with this that doesn't have hard bags and trunks?

I have seen the bags that wrap around the backrest but don't which brand is the best, and what are the pitfalls.

side02.jpg

Do a search for Tack,,, Horsetack.com is one of my favorites, also Country Supply, Look for a 4 or 3 bag set. From the looks of your bike you could put the saddle bags ontop of your existing bags, the pommel and cantel bags can go on the back seat and rear luggage rack. You could also stand em up and strap em together. They are waterproof/resitant depending on what you buy, available in lots of different materials and colors, and much cheaper than anything sold for motorcycles, If you want fancy, You can get engraved tooled leather pommel bags with Holsters built into them, Granted they usually fit single action revolvers but ya never know. I'd set a hard plastic box full of ammo in the luggage rack and stand the pommel bag on top of that, in front of sissy bar I'd stand the cantel bag then strap everything down. When I rode bikes I had a Bungee cord net that was made for the back part of the seat meant for carriing a spare helmet.

You'll have a ball but be prepared for anything.

I often take my Honda cruiser to matches... and I too have soft side bags on my bike.

I have two different bags made to sit behind the driver and both provide a back rest.

The first is call The T-Bag. It's like a large back pack (it has shoulder straps too) and it's made with a sleeve on the back that fits over the sissy bar. It's huge, expandable by opening a couple zippers, and made out of balistic nylon. It has an internal plastic liner to make it water proof. You can find these at virtually every catalog and WWW site with bike accessories. --Dennis Kirk, etc.----I have packed for a 2 week trip with this bag and my saddle bags and had extra room left over. It's well made.. but it's basically a back pack with no frame

The other one I use is smaller but it's semi-lockable and 100% water proof. It is called the Lazy Rider... (800) 687-7806. It has an adjustable back support and a heavy plastic/nylon tubular frame. It is much sturdier than the T-Bag... but it holds WAY less gear.

The only issue I have with all the soft bags and ones made for behind the driver (that I have seen).. is that they all can be cut or torn off the bike with relative ease.... which means you don't dare let the bike out of your sight during the time that your weapons etc. are on board. The only REAL secure solution is hard saddle bags that lock or a larger hard bag locked on to the rear luggage carrier... and to be honest they are expensive and in my view pretty ugly and out of place unless you have a Gold Wing, large frame H. D. or other really big road bike.

I suggest that when you really load down a mid-sized bike... you have to be very careful how you pack. Balancing the weight (especially with ammo) is important. ----Put all the heavy stuff in your saddle bags if you can-----You can also get in trouble because by putting all that gear on or above the seat... you make the bike pretty top heavy.... and rear end heavy. I was damn near blown off the top of the Blue Ridge Freeway on a mountain pass by a mean cross wind. Also be careful loading up the rear luggage rack. They are not all that sturdy and I have seen them bent...plus anything you put on that rack.... is behind your rear tire... which menas it wants to help you do a wheely.

Lastly whatever you do... use lots of bungee cords or sinch cords to make sure your gear can't shift. If a bag behind you shifts on a curve... it gets hairy quick.

Good Luck... riding and shooting!!!

edited to add... I forgot to mention.... watch your total weight. A friend loaded too much ammo in a soft side saddle bag and spread 1,000 rounds all over the freeway when the bottom of the bag dopped out(:

Edited by MichiganShootist

I built a custom Kenny Boyce FXR Custom with a S&S 107" engine. The bike was low and stretched. I made a 6,000 mile trip on it and a few 2,000 mile trips also. I used a T-Bag (fits on the sissy bar) and the round bag that goes on top. I used bungee cords and a bungee net over the whole rig to hold my stuff. It worked great. I had two changes of clothes, rain suit, leathers, two pounds of our local coffee, my toiletries, guns, ammo, gear, and tools.

Most motels have washer and dryers and there is usually a Wal-Mart near your location. Anything you pick up extra can be shipped home from one of the Mail Bag type stores.

Remember to carry ammo in the bottom of your bag to keep the center of gravity low.

Ride and have a great trip. Buddy

The best way to travel on a motorcycle is to buy new clothes on the road and ship them home as you use them. I'd want to travel with my blaster, magazines, belt/holster/mag holders and ammo and ship my range bag to the hotel.

Another thought; I have hand washed clothes in motel bathtubs before and hang dried them in the bathroom. Crude but efficient, just like me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

FM

+1 on the T Bags. I've used mine for the past eight years for two week trips and to haul all my tools in to work(helicopter mechanic). Like what was said before, reverse it and it makes a great backrest, which also helps keep them from shifting around. Good luck and happy riding.

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I guess my main worry has been the ammo. Last year in the car I took 1K of ammo with me. As you guys all know the match says it's 300+ rounds. Yeah right! If you don't miss or have any reshoots due to happy tapers. (What really sucks is when you bring most of it home after a couple of squibs :angry2: )

I might have to trim my total round count for this year. The point about littering the highway with ammo is a very good valid point.

Thanks for the pinpoint recommendation of the T-bag. I am checking that out now.

The ILL. Section is coming up at the end of July and I plan to make that a test run for the Nats. It's only 1.5 hours away from home, so it will let me try things without having to suffer for days.

As far as clothes I figure I will have to 'guy' pack. One pair of pants and 5 T-shirts. :cheers:

I figure on the rain suit, but what does anyone think about leathers in OK in Sept.? Anything else you can think of that is a good idea for a 11 hour one way / Week long trip?

I figure on the rain suit, but what does anyone think about leathers in OK in Sept.? Anything else you can think of that is a good idea for a 11 hour one way / Week long trip?

I don't think you'll need leathers in Sept if the weather is good, but my Electra Glide keeps a lot of the wind off me. September is a little early for rain, but this year has been a little different weather wise.