Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumbpiece on new S&W revos

SRT Driver

After trying to fit an Ed Brown extended tumbpiece on a new 625 w/ the lock, I noticed that A LOT of material needs to be taken away from the front (where the thumbpice fits in the slot) so the thing can move forward to unlock the cylinder. I put the stock one back on.

Is there an extended thumbpiece that you guys are using that works better whitout as much work?

SDM cylinder release is the same.

Yes, there is material that needs to be removed. Be glad that it is there. It gives you the chance to set things up properly.

S&W revolvers don't really have tight tolerances and need help. Just radius off the necessary material on the Ed Brown. Take a little at a time until things are flush.

After trying to fit an Ed Brown extended tumbpiece on a new 625 w/ the lock, I noticed that A LOT of material needs to be taken away from the front (where the thumbpice fits in the slot) so the thing can move forward to unlock the cylinder. I put the stock one back on.

Is there an extended thumbpiece that you guys are using that works better whitout as much work?

Hogue is making one that I like a lot.

post-3095-1181172251.jpg

I emailed Hogue about these, and here's the info on them:

Neil Hogue (Aaron's son personally builds these). They are S&W Extended Cylinder Releases, Part # 00686 for S/S, Part # 00687 for Blued S/S, price is $59.95 @ and are available at 1-800-438-4747. They are so new we do not have them in our catalog or price sheet yet. Last weekend at the IRC Shoot in Morro Bay, Ca. they made their first debut, so get them while you can.

I bet, I´ve seen them anywhere else before..... :rolleyes:

I bet, I´ve seen them anywhere else before..... :rolleyes:

exactly what I said when I first saw it Sascha.

MERKLE

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

exactly what I said when I first saw it Sascha.

MERKLE

anyway. For me the best one, I ever tried. I use it on all my wheelguns.

And if Ralf is not able or not willing (I thinks its more the "not able" thing because of legal limitations) to export to USA for a competitive price - thats the consequence.

You should just be glad to have it available now in USA ;)

Best,

Sascha

Sascha you have a nice website.

Questions for you ...

1. What grips are on your 627?

2. Was it difficult to drill through the hammer to lighten it and why not bob the hammer?

3. How much weight was removed by drilling it?

I'd like to hear more about those 200gr bullets and load data for 38 special. I tried to sign in on your Guestbook but it wasn't working.

Sascha you have a nice website.

Questions for you ...

1. What grips are on your 627?

2. Was it difficult to drill through the hammer to lighten it and why not bob the hammer?

3. How much weight was removed by drilling it?

I'd like to hear more about those 200gr bullets and load data for 38 special. I tried to sign in on your Guestbook but it wasn't working.

rwmagnus,

thanks for your compliment! The prob with the guestbook may be a result of the spam-control (I had big problems with guestbook spammers... :ph34r: ). I can set back the filter criterias, if you want to add something. Just send me a mail.

The grips I use are Nill-grips -> Nill grips website

It´s the modell nr. SW03XHO "PPC/1500/Bianci Cup"

SW03YHOXL.jpg

The hammer was drilled by my gunsmith, Karl Hamann. I just asked for mass reduction - he told me, that he don´t like the look without a spur, so he drilled for mass reduction. But it must be very hard - he did it with the milling machine, not with a drill. In between, I also cut of the rest of the spur. "form follows function!" :devil: I did not weigh the hammer - but I can do it....(unfortunately, I cant tell the reduction only with the holes)

For the data of my .38specialmajoroutofa4"586-load, you can check this post: data

my .38shortspecialmajoroutofa6"586data is:

case length 25,6mm/1,008" - load for Major PF is .357 200grs RN (CP from H&N), 4,5grs N340 OAL 34,6mm/1,362" and FED100 (pressure was measured with 1900Bar)

Best,

Sascha

Edited by cooper_999

Sascha

I also enjoy your website. And thanks to you I did pick up a set of Nill grips a year ago, not exactly the Bianchi model that you use but the one with the slightly smaller butt.

It is a supurb grip especially when running Major loads - really soaks up the recoil. Mine reside on a Smith 625.

I took a look at the Hogue cylinder release last week at the IRC. Very nice unit, about the same as the Merkle - a nice design. It would work for me if it was shorter so I intend to get one and shorten it so it's not sticking so far back - a little cut and Tig.

Sascha

I also enjoy your website. And thanks to you I did pick up a set of Nill grips a year ago, not exactly the Bianchi model that you use but the one with the slightly smaller butt.

It is a supurb grip especially when running Major loads - really soaks up the recoil. Mine reside on a Smith 625.

I took a look at the Hogue cylinder release last week at the IRC. Very nice unit, about the same as the Merkle - a nice design. It would work for me if it was shorter so I intend to get one and shorten it so it's not sticking so far back - a little cut and Tig.

Viggen,

I´m glad, that the Nill works for you as good as for me and that I could help you with my tip! :cheers:

If you would like to have a look, I just added a few comments to the last matches I shot and I also uploaded some pictures on my site... :rolleyes::D

(edit: and I also reduced the spam-index on the guestbook-site ;) )

best regards,

Sascha

Edited by cooper_999