Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trimming/resizing the brass

If i have the correct i need to resize the case everytime i reload it ... (the whole case if i might shoot it in different guns) however i see a trimmer attachement for sale. so im not sure whats what now.

Resize as little as possible if firing in the same rifle (bolt action). Usually just neck size if loading for same rifle. If it is semi-auto rifle, I FL size cases. After they are sized I will check for cases that are too long and put those into a pile to be trimmed later when I absolutely have too. I would rather be shooting than trimming cases. :P

As already mentioned, trimming isn't normally done on pistol cases. You'll either lose them or throw them away before trimming is necessary.

For rifle calibers, it depends on how you're using them. If you're loading ammo for a semi-automatic, you'll full length resize them each time you load them. That means they'll need to be trimmed after being shot a few times (only way to know for sure how many is by measuring them after each use). In something like .223 the cases are cheap enough that a lot of people just shoot them a few times and then throw them away because trimming takes a lot of time. For hunting ammo in a bolt gun, many people also like to FL resize so that you're sure they'll chamber easily and quickly if you need a fast follow up shot....and they'll work if you somehow get some gunk in the gun or on the ammo.

For match rifle stuff or varmit shooting, neck sizing is the way to go. Once the case has been properly trimmed, chamfered, flash hole deburred, possibly sorted for weight and/or case volume, loaded (including a FL resize) and then shot through a particular gun once, you can simply size just the neck and they'll work fine (best accuracy too). You can get neck resizing dies that offer interchangeable bushings of different sizes to find the right size for your gun. They don't need to be trimmed as often when you do this, but the ammo will be for one gun only.

Resize and THEN trim if you need to , some of the once fired brass I have seen is up to .030 longer than trim length .

Brass measures shorter before it is full length sized.

Long brass can be very dangerous as the neck may not be able to release the bullet due to the bullet being pinched by the brass , which has been wedged into the throat of the chamber. This could cause pressure to get far too high .

223:

MAX = 1.760"

Trim to : 1.750" ( or slightly shorter to allow more room before trimming again )

Check length each time ( After sizing ) , if it's not too long, load it .

Just my .o2

Travis F.

Another option worth exploring in my experience is the RCBS X Dies. You trim your cases, and set the X die up. It full length resizes and keeps brass growth at a minimum. You can get them in small base sizers for 223 also.

I use one in 308 and have been quite pleased with the performance of this die.

What I do for 223 is set a caliper at 1.76", the max recommended length, and use the caliper as a go,no go gage. If a resized case, resize before measuring, doesn't cleanly past through the caliper, it gets trimmed to 1.75. New brass usually gets about 3 firings before it need to be trimmed. "Once" fired Blackhills Blue Box (reloaded) Lake City brass usually needs trimming.