Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady A-Max in 308

EricW

Been digging up the BC's of the A-Max. In 308, the 168 (BC = .475 )and 178 gr (BC = .495) offerings from Hornady appear for all intensive purposes to be as good or better than the Sierra/Nosler. Anybody have any experience pushing them downrange, particularly with Varget? I had some issues with Hornday 68gr and Varget (i.e. the bullet was too long to fit in the case), so I'm curious if the rifle bullets are similarly handicapped.

Also, anybody know of an outlet that sells Hornady in larger lots? Like 1K+? Not sure if they're $40K better than Noslers. I'd really like to settle on one bullet for everything. If only Nosler would copy the 155gr Scenars, I'd be set. :rolleyes:

Hi,

The 155 AMAX is very accurate in my Blaser R93 match rifle. <0.5 MOA at 100 meters.

I've been playing with the Hornady 168 en 178 AMAX at 500 meters using Varget (about 44.0 - 45.0) and the results are ok. Still need some tweaking as I just started playing with them.

Cheers from Holland,

BolloX

I shoot nothing but the 168 AMAX in my DPMS carbine.

I put it over 41.7 grn of Varget to an OAL of 2.800.

IF I do my part it will shoot .5 MOA, I also crimp it with a Lee Factory Crimp. Also, use it for deer hunting and am very satisfied with it's performance on a live target as well as paper.

Tried them. They shot well at 100 not as good at 3-800.

The 178SMK is still the king of accuracy and the 155gr Scenars are my favorites overall.

They work well for me, but my rifle is not a tack driver anyways. 43 grains of Varget loaded to magazine length, and they shoot where I point them.