Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rediscovered Revolver shooting!

TommyC

Well, on my trip to the range this morning I met up with an old friend and his nice new S&W 696 .44 spl.  I haven't shot a revolver in Years and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it!  I'm thinking instead of buying a new auto for next season, I may pick up a 625 and try revolver shooting for a while.  Any guidelines as to what to look for.  Barrel length, etc?  I've seen quite a few 625s around at gun shows in 4" and 5", and even a 6" a few weeks ago, so I think finding one should be fairly easy.  I'm only interested in IPSC right now, so the new 4" limit in IDPA shouldn't matter, right?  As always, thanks for the help!!

Tommy, I have a 5" and that's because I had a great deal on it. I bought a second 5" as a backup for my first one. If I would have to start over, I think I would have taken the 4". I might cut off some of the underlug of my 5" to reduce the weight.

The 5" is heavy. It handels a bit slow because of that. It all depends on what you like. Do you have the opportunity to try both lengths?

Whatever lenght you choose, you cannot go wrong with the 625. Happy shooting and God bless :)

I just ordered a new Performance Center 625 5".  

Anyone have experience with this gun? What do you think?  

I went for the 5" as I won't shoot IDPA, just USPSA. In IDPA,  I use my autos. I'm really looking forward to shooting Revolver Div in the spring. This will be my first year with a wheelgun.

Yes...there is some new interest in revolvers as I always see about 2-4 guys per match (10-12% of total). A fast, accurate, wheelgunner is a sight to see.

Safe shooting!

Hawker

The Performance Center 625 is one sweet gun. The DA is a bit heavy, but I'll get used to it. The gun is very tight and accurate. You can really see and feel the difference in this gun vs. a regular production 625. It's pricey though... $839 was what I paid.

The Jerry grips are too small for me so I'll have a set of custom grips made.

Since I mostly shoot autos, the rear sight blade seemed very small. Well... I painted two flourescent yellow dots on the rear and painted the front bead a flourescent orange. Wow!  what a difference. This gun now acquires the target very fast. No need for expensive sights using this setup.

Have a great day and safe shooting!

Hawker

TommyC: as to barrel length, the inherent accuracy between a good 4" and 6" is not much different out to maybe 30 yards.  Most people can shoot the 6" more accurately because the added sight radius makes it easier to aim accurately.

As to what gun to buy?  Depends on you.  I just got a new 6" model 66 for bullseye / PPC shooting for $490 (Kali price) and tuned up the trigger.  It shoots 1 - 1.5" groups at 25 yards pretty consistently.

Before you pay $850 for a performance center gun, you might consider getting a stock one and tuning up the trigger yourself.  Anybody who can detail strip a 1911 can learn to do a SW trigger.  They are the easiest wheelgun to do, I can help if you want.  Mostly it's just polishing some key points and changing (or dialing back) the rebound and mainspring.

Tommy,

I have a S&W M629C 44 Mag with a 5" barrel and this length is very nicely balanced. The full underlug adds front end weight but the 1" shorter barrel counters that and improves the balance.

I agree with Bountyhunter regarding the ease of improving the Smith DA trigger, although the new ones with the frame mounted firing pin don't respond quite as well as the older models with the firing pin on the hammer. Hawker also has a point. The Performance Centre guns are finely tuned and finished and sweet machinery, so buy what you can afford and enjoy.