Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to IPSC and IDPA

Trey333

Hello Everyone. I'm making this post to introduce myslef to the board and ask a few questions. My name is Emil but everyone who knows me calls me Trey. I'm new to competitive shooting. I've shot one IDPA match and one USPSA match. I had a ton of fun and plan to stick with it.

I recently purchased a timer and I'm intersted in learning to train with it. Funds are a little tight and for now I'd like to purchase just one book, workbook, or video. I already have some training material. I have Brian's book and 1-4 of Matt Burkett's videos. I'm very pleased with everything I've purchased so far.

As of now I'm working with an IWB Leather Holster by Milt Sparks. The holster is super comfortable for daily carry but I eventually want to get something else to compete with. I'm shooting a Kimber Custom II single stack 1911. I'm intersted in a quality holster that would work well in IDPA and limited 10. I don't plan on buying the holster for a while b/c I like the idea of training with my every day holster just for personal defense reasons.

Finally one of my more long term purchase goals is a quality Airsoft gun as close to replicating my 1911 as possible. The only external modifications I've done to my Kimber are Gunners Grips and a S&A one piece mainspring housing/magwell.

So there you have it, Hi to everyone on these boards and if anyone has any advice on training materials, a holster and an airsoft gun I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me.

Trey

Edited by Trey333

Hi Trey,

Welcome! I'm willing to bet that the consensus on a book to use for timer drills would be Steve Anderson's first book (available from Benos) but if there are others, you'll get good advice here. As far as holsters for both IDPA and USPSA go, I'd suggest taking a look at the Blade-Tech DOH. If you take off the dropped and offset hanger, it will work for IDPA and with the hanger it'll work well for Lim-10. I've got one for my single stack and am planning on getting one as a backup for my Limited gun in case the fancy race holster breaks. You can even put a paddle on one and wear it for everyday use (my boss uses that setup for his G-26 sometimes). They're simple, pretty inexpensive (give or take $70), and more than fast enough. I've seen people compare their times with a race holster to a DOH and it might be a couple tenths slower than the race holster, but that's about it...not enough to make a difference until you've got a fair amount of experience.

Welcome aboard !!!

The book and videos you have are good choices. As G-man siad, Steve Andersons book is a great tool to add to your library as well. Go slow and soak up all the information you can.

Be safe !, Have fun !, and Welcome to the sport !

+1 on both Steve's first (and second) book and the DOH (assuming it is legal for IDPA.) I have a DOH and would use it for any of the USPSA divisions except Open where the comp make the barrel too long to draw from the DOH.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my questions, and thanks for the welcome. I ordered Mr Andersons book from Mr Enos. After I have a few more matches under my belt I'll look into getting a Bladetech holster.