Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load for Glock 17 factory barrel, Precision coated 147 bullets

AustinMike

Like the title says, I'm looking for loads for the Precision black 147 bullet for a Glock 17 factory barrel for minor Production loads. I got talked into trying them today, but I'm not finding much load data. I've got Clays, Universal Clays, HS-6, Power Pistol, and Titegroup on hand. I'm open to other options. I'm a little wary of shooting non-jacketed bullets in the Glock, but I was assured it's safe at minor velocities and the way jacketed prices are getting, I thought what the hell.

Thanks,

Mike

Not much help here since I'm using 231 under 147gr. Masterblasters. FWIW though I'm using 3.5 to 3.6 grs. at an oal of 1.145 to 1.150" max.

I went with 231 in hope of a less Smokey load. It's not too bad, and has yet to bother me in a match.

Very nice little load, with a mild, vertical recoil.

BTW, this is through a stock G17 barrel also. Sorry I have no Crono results.

Good luck

Edited by billdncn

Hello: I have been shooting Precision bullets in my Glock 22. No problems and easy cleanup. I use Tite Group powder. I just loaded up some 9mm last night for my Kimber 9mm. The load I use is for minor using 147 grain bullet. It is 147 grain Precision, 3.0 grains Tite Group, Winchester WSP primers and 1.135 OAL. Hope this helps. Let us know how it works in your Glock. Thanks, Eric

Just got back from my first experiment. 147 Precision, 3.2 Universal Clays, 1.145" OAL, WSP. Soft as hell and no leading with 100 rounds. Only 806.8 fps in 10 shot average though, with SD of 23.11. Hmm...I'll try seating deeper first, maybe try 3.3gr. Wonder if I'm getting any bridging with the low charge?

• 3 weeks later...

I use those same bullets in a G17, and have had excellent results. Try 3.9 grains of WSF. I load them to an OAL of 1.15". They are quite accurate even if I am the one shooting them. :rolleyes: I tried Titegroup but accuracy was not quite as good. YMMV.

I've worked up a load for my 17 using 147 MG CMJ's at 1.150 over 3.5 gr N320. Comes in w/ the OEM bbl at just over 130 PF and is sweet to shoot. I think if the Precision bullet is the same length as the MG, loading to the same OAL with the same charge will get you the same or slightly higher velocity.

I treat the moly bullets just like lead. I load both and in 9 mm I love the 147 grain. Soft shooting and very accurate. I load a 147 with WW231 (3.7) in my Kimber and the velosity is 966 fps with a sd of 3 fps. Very accurate. I shoot it in my 17, 17L, and my 34 also.

I started using it for steel, but fell in love with it and use it for almost everything.

A friend was using Clays and although very accurate, it did keyhole at times.

Buddy

• 4 weeks later...

Austinmike,

I ran those bullets with 3.2 gr. of Univ. Clays, Win Small Pistol Mag. primers, and an OAL of 1.085". Gave me a 5shot average velocity around 900 fps from a stock glock 17. Very soft shooting but I had problems with the bullet tumbling. Same thing went with Tight Group powder. I ended up with 4.6 gr. of HS6 with an OAL of 1.085" and ~915 fps velocity. No tumbling with this load and it's still soft shooting and accurate.