Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Miculek Spring Kits

Rufus The Bum

I installed a Miculek Spring Kit in my S&W 625 and set the trigger pull to 7.5# and still am getting alot of misfires.  The firing pin hits the primer, but it doesn't always go off.  I set the pull to 8# and it works fine.  Anyone have any experience with this spring kit?  And what can I do to get it to be 100% reliable at 7#? I use Federal primers too.  

The trigger pull weight is determined by both the hammer (main) spring and the rebound slide spring.  On my 686, I have gotten the DA pull down to about 6# with good ignition, but yhr rebound spring had to be lightened (trimmed) to get that low.

If you are getting light strike misfires, you don't have enough hammer spring strenght.  You need to increase it until it fires reliably.  You can lighten the rebound spring a bit to reduce DA pull once the hammer spring is set at the correct point.  If you trim the RB spring, go slow and check each time to make sure you still get good trigger return.

RtB,

Brownell's has x-tra long firing pins from Cyl & Slide if your gun has the frame mounted variety. My 610 has that setup I am not sure what the 625 has. Jerry's stuff is supposed to work at 7.5 #, maybe you will want to get in touch with him? Let us know what you find.

RD

To amplify bountyhunter's comments a bit:

This little tip has saved me a lot of testing time:  When you are trying to reduce the trigger pull weight of your  625 (and for all revolvers), the most important weight to consider is at the hammer, not at the trigger.  Once you go below your minimal hammer fall weight the gun will misfire.  

So when adjusting your trigger pull weight always put the trigger scale at the hammer and make sure it does not fall lower than your minimal hammer fall weight.

For example,  for my particular 625 I found that I can get 100 percent ignition with Federal Primers  when my hammer weight does not fall below 2 lbs (first making sure like 2alpha says- primers set deep and no bent moons).

I can polish or mess with the mainspring screw as much as I want but if that hammers falls below 2 lbs I will begin to get misfires.  

After setting your gun to the minimum hammer fall weight, reducing friction (and rebound spring) becomes the most important element in reducing trigger pull weight, so polishing and other friction reducing methods come into play.

So find out what your minimum hammer fall is for your gun, and do your trigger job making sure you never go below that minimum poundage.  

Hope this helps,

Paul

(Edited by phara at 12:55 pm on Jan. 20, 2003)

(Edited by phara at 12:57 pm on Jan. 20, 2003)

(Edited by phara at 1:02 pm on Jan. 20, 2003)