Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lesson learned about S&W Hand replacement

cking

My 625-8 started to fail to fire. Everybody looked the gun over and said seems fine. Timed good, nice and tight hum???????

I had replaced the hand with powers oversized, plus I had change the hand spring. The combination of fitting the hand to the window, and lower the spring pressure caused the hand when the gun got dirty to fail to pick up the cylinder. A combo of dirt, tight fitting hand, low spring pressure.

So a little more play on hand in window and back to the orginal hand spring.

Just in case anybody else runs into this.

My 625-8 started to fail to fire. Everybody looked the gun over and said seems fine. Timed good, nice and tight hum???????

I had replaced the hand with powers oversized, plus I had change the hand spring. The combination of fitting the hand to the window, and lower the spring pressure caused the hand when the gun got dirty to fail to pick up the cylinder. A combo of dirt, tight fitting hand, low spring pressure.

So a little more play on hand in window and back to the orginal hand spring.

Just in case anybody else runs into this.

...had this also once in a major match... :blink: I pulled the trigger twice and nothing happens - after the stage, I found some dirt in the window, causing the hand to fail to pick up the cylinder as in your case. After cleaning, everything was fine again...

Since then, I´m inspecting this area very intensive before a match! ;)

DVC!

Sascha

Sam,

You mean like squeezing a glob of lubriplate under the side plate and brushing off the loose crap with an old toothbrush?

:lol::lol::lol:

One of these days, I'm going to have to replace the floating hand on my 625. It ain't broke so it isn't time to fix it yet, but it looks like a mechanical weak spot in the design.

dj

One of these days, I'm going to have to replace the floating hand on my 625. It ain't broke so it isn't time to fix it yet, but it looks like a mechanical weak spot in the design.

In a weird way, I think the floating hand actually might be mechanically superior. Twice over the years, with two different 25-2s, I have broken off the pins the hand pivots on. Both times happened during matches (naturally). I don't think this would have happened with the floating hand design.

Most people replace the floating hand because it tends to create a glitchy DA pull. However, it's not a problem in some specific revolvers. If it's not creating any extra friction, I'd just leave it in there.