Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry firing, Do you do it?

Mick

In another thread I was debating the concept of large amounts of dry firing versus actually firing to obtain the shooting skills to move up in class etc...

I don't dry fire much at all anymore. It is pretty much limited to getting my gear on at a match and going to a safe area where I can draw and dry fire to make sure my holster is in the right place and I still know how to draw the gun. Maybe a little sight alignment too.

So, tell me what y'all do...?

I have access to a semi-indoor range 7 days a week until 11PM. Most weekends find me shooting USPSA, a steel match or even IDSA matches on both days. During the week I don't touch the gun much (except my duty pistol and rifle) on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

On Thursday and Friday evenings I fire around 300-600 rounds at this range or at steel plates outdoors before the weekend matches. The weekend usually requires up to 400 rounds for the matches. So, why do I need dry fire? I get a bunch of live fire reps and IF I develop trigger control problems I do what I have the rookies do: throw some dummy rounds in the slow fire mags to catch myself anticipating recoil or whacking at the trigger.

Dry fire does very little to help recoil recovery, sight alignment (or realignment) during fast splits (.20 or less) and you can get away with a sloppy grip in dry fire that will hurt in live fire. How do you get sub .20 splits in dry fire??? Target transitions with dry fire are much less realistic as there is no recoil to deal with.

The weather can change this rountine as when its 100+ or 30 degrees I may stay home but then again this is Texas!! When I was made to carry a Glock at work I did several thousand dry fires that first month to teach my finger the reset and then I left it alone....

You???

Dryfiring is the core training method in my shooting routine. I literally spend a little over an hour each day dryfiring. I follow up this regimen with going to the shooting range once or twice a week (schedule permitting) and attending one match.

I get sub .20 splits in dryfire because I know what it feels like to get them in livefire. I do not simulate recoil, rather I focus on seeing what I need to see on the various drills to get two A's, the smoothness of my technique, and balance in my grip.

Using drills from Steve Anderson's two books, my routine looks like this:

On these targets, drills 2,7,8,9,10,11,12,15,16,17,19,20 from the first book.

DSCN1008.jpg

From the new book, drills 2,3,4 (targets were too far apart for a pic)

11 DSCN1004.jpg

12 DSCN1003.jpg

15 and 16 DSCN1007.jpg

9 and 10 DSCN1005.jpg

Excellent response!

Do you see these drills improve your score/skills at the matches?

I believe it was TGO who once said said something like he pushes for speed as much as possible in practice and relaxes at the match but the speed is there and shows itself without really working on it. How else do you gain speed?

I hammer out .11-.12 splits in practice but have no anticipation of getting them in a match.

Two As at .20 is great...

Mick, this may sound crazy but... I have a gun in the drawer by the can. I kill a bar of soap, 2 shampoo bottles, and a shower head every time I visit. I have a gun on the coffee table, I snap on every light switch and and sundry other objects in the living room every day. I have a gun by the bed. Have snapped on every object in the bedroom. I have a gun by my guitar rack. While holding a Telecaster, I have snappped on every object in the guitar room. I dry fire every day, and not really because I'm trying to, I don't have children, so I have guns all over the house, and I snap the crap out of them. When I finish with this post, I'm picking up the sp-01 that sits by the computer and snapping on everything in my wife's office. Within sight, within mind I guess, but that's just me. The only time I don't dry fire at home is when she gets pissed and yells at me to "stop that snapping noise" <_<

I finally figured out some dryfire routines that work for me. Since dryfiring seems much akin to watching paint dry, I split up my dryfire time, 15 or so minutes in the morning and same in the evening.

Even though I have access to my own personal range, with rising costs I hope dryfiring will help my skills without breaking the bank............. :ph34r:

When I carried a revolver I dry fired it constantly at any inanimate object like "Odie" does.

But with the auto pistol (single action) it is like watching paint dry!!!

I teach Glocks to our rookies and was going to buy the "red training Glock" that allows dry fire w/o reseting the trigger and slide but they actually cost more than a G17 and I have only three years left so I couldn't justify the price.

I'm thinking the air soft SV type gun is the way to go...

When I retire I'll build a range in the backyard (I hope) but will likely go broke if I shoot everyday...

"Stop that snapping noise"!!! I've heard that before too

Edited by Mick

Well, there goes that idea. I didn't realize the "red" Glocks were that expensive. :blink: How about that trigger assembly that replaces the stock part so you don't have to rack the slide? Has anyone tried those? I think Glockstore has them.

For me it's about the fun factor... I shoot 99% live and if I have a problem I do a bit of DF to try and help fix it. If I'm doing well I leave it in the case at home. Besides, I'm putting in 20-30hrs a week on the range... speaking of whic... it's time to get up and head in for practice... I may go broke shooting this much, but it sure is a fun way to go.:)

JT

Edited by JThompson

Well, there goes that idea. I didn't realize the "red" Glocks were that expensive. :blink: How about that trigger assembly that replaces the stock part so you don't have to rack the slide? Has anyone tried those? I think Glockstore has them.

I am of the opinion that purchasing the trigger kit in question is a complete waste of money. Your dryfiring will be better spent on the trigger that you compete with. A reset kit will give you a different feel altogether.

Daily.

For me, the single biggest advantage of dry firing is that there is no sound and no recoil. I fight trigger finger problems on an ongoing basis. Dry fire helps develop habits that translate to the range. I absolutely do not simulate recoil. That would work directly against what I'm trying to achieve. It builds bad habits that, like good ones, go to the range with me.

Lee

For me it's about the fun factor... I shoot 99% live and if I have a problem I do a bit of DF to try and help fix it. If I'm doing well I leave it in the case at home. Besides, I'm putting in 20-30hrs a week on the range... speaking of whic... it's time to get up and head in for practice... I may go broke shooting this much, but it sure is a fun way to go.:)

JT

Going broke???

I know how that is! Between my shooting and the Trailblazer SS I can barely eat but if you saw my 38" waistline you might disagree!

I'm thinking about getting a Class 6 license just to get stuff cheaper and load for a couple friends who like to "borrow" the 1050.

All my Glock shooting is with a stock 5# G17 (duty gun) so the red gun is viable but was more $$$ than a G17 with night sights.

When I retire, my backyard needs to be a 50 yard range...

Simulate recoil??? They do that on TV, ever see them a little off cue????

JT

Going broke???

I know how that is! Between my shooting and the Trailblazer SS I can barely eat but if you saw my 38" waistline you might disagree!

I'm thinking about getting a Class 6 license just to get stuff cheaper and load for a couple friends who like to "borrow" the 1050.

All my Glock shooting is with a stock 5# G17 (duty gun) so the red gun is viable but was more $$$ than a G17 with night sights.

When I retire, my backyard needs to be a 50 yard range...

Simulate recoil??? They do that on TV, ever see them a little off cue????

I already cut the food bill down a lot... I need to lose 30lbs anyway. :)

• 1 month later...

The thing I never did understand about dryfiring is if you cock the gun every

time??? I have seen people dryfiring hammer down just pressing the trigger back.

What is the proper way(1911)??? I have reduced targets set up and have done both

ways, but what is the most beneficial???

Also I need to work on reducing my right grip

presure, all is fine when dryfiring until the presure of the clock comes on at a match

and I squeez too hard driving rounds to the left consistanly, any drills out there for that??

In golf I used to drive at the range standing on only my left leg to curve baseball swing,

anything like that out there???? :blink::blink::blink:

The thing I never did understand about dryfiring is if you cock the gun every

time??? I have seen people dryfiring hammer down just pressing the trigger back.

What is the proper way(1911)??? I have reduced targets set up and have done both

ways, but what is the most beneficial???

Just press the trigger. If you drop the hammer (or in my case, trip the striker) just continue with the drill. Once finished, reset and repeat as needed.

Also I need to work on reducing my right grip

presure, all is fine when dryfiring until the presure of the clock comes on at a match

and I squeez too hard driving rounds to the left consistanly, any drills out there for that??

In golf I used to drive at the range standing on only my left leg to curve baseball swing,

anything like that out there???? :blink::blink::blink:

This is the kind of problem that dryfiring can fix. Just practice with more weak hand. Repetition will eventually allow you to relearn your grip. There is no other trick to it.