Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got 8lbs of 231 for 9mm, What to do?

Kyle O

First post, Hello all, I am gonna try some cast bullets in 125 and 147. This will be my first time to load cast. I have experience with several different jacketed bullets. Anyone have good loads for this using 231, or any good advice for that matter. Also, any loads welcome. I gotta do something with all this powder. Thanks....

231 is a good powder. Start at 4 grains under a 124 and 3 under a 147. Work up for your gun from there. If you get them over 1050fps, make sure you use really hard lead/alloy, or you will leave a lot of lead in the bbl at much over 1100fps ;-)

A few shooters here use 3.5 gr. W-231 with the 147 gr. lead hard cast bullet. It's a nice load.

First post, Hello all, I am gonna try some cast bullets in 125 and 147. This will be my first time to load cast. I have experience with several different jacketed bullets. Anyone have good loads for this using 231, or any good advice for that matter. Also, any loads welcome. I gotta do something with all this powder. Thanks....

Well I finally chrono'd some loads today. thanks for the advice everyone, 3.2gr of 231 under 147gr precisions at 1.166 col, shot at ~750fps in a sig 229 and ~780fps in a glock 17. I went home and loaded up some with the 3.5gr load and am going to measure these very soon. I'll post an update

My favorite load for 9 mm is WW 231 with 147 grain lead round nose. I load a couple of tenths above the maximum set by Winchester. It gives me very little variation in fps and it averages 966 fps (5" bbl.) with a 142 PF. It is very soft shooting and slams steel.

I use it in a Kimber Target II, Glock 17, 17L, 34, Colt 1911, Springfield 1911, and a Sig 239. It is great in all of them and is unbelievably accurate in the Kimber.

231 Is a little dirty, but I clean my guns anyway. Not a big deal to me.

Buddy

I went home and loaded up some with the 3.5gr load and am going to measure these very soon. I'll post an update

These shot 880fps in my glock 17, didn't try the sig yet