Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's up with 10/22

Bill Schwab

I bought a new 10/22 a few years ago and from the get-go I have had problems with magazines.  These mags don't want to push the next round up to be fed into the chamber.  It's not dirt, because this happens even with new mags.  Is there a trick?  Like disassemble the mag and polish something to make them work?  

The 10/22 has quite a reputation, I never expected something like this.  So far I've purchased 4 or 5 new mags, and only have one that I can count on 100% of the time.

Help.dunno.gif

Bill

Bill,

" Like disassemble the mag and polish something to make them work?"

Not really. I messed with 10/22's A LOT, and never did anything to or had many problems that were mag related. All problems usually are within the receiver/mechanism. Have you tried different ammo?

be

Bill,

Are you using factory mags?  Does this happen even when you strip the rounds manually?  You can try disassembling the mags if you want.  They're kind of a bear to put back together as you have to wind the spring and then tighten them w/o have it unwind itself.  

Your problem might be due to inadequate spring tension - which proper reassembly should fix, or the rotor could be binding inside the mag (easy to fix w/ sandpaper).  Another thing to try is graphite.  Squirt some inside the feed mouth, then load and unload the mags a  bunch to spread it around.   "New" plastic will tend to stick to itself.  

Once things are "right," your 10/22 will work flawlessly.  I can't remember very many jams in the bizillion rounds I've shot out of mine.

Good Luck!

Eric

Strange problem you are having, I have 10+ factory mags and have no problems with them?  

It is not that big of a deal to strip out the mags and reassemble them.  The biggest trick is putting the set on the spring as you put it back to geather.  The design of the mag would make it very easy to add some more tension to the spring to see if that helps?  I would strip out a few of them and clean them and reassemble to the factory specs and see if they work? At the same time you can check for any burrs or friction that is causing the prpblem.

The trick to reassembling the mag is putting the proper tension on the follower spring.  When putting the mag back togeather assemble the body, follower, center bolt, and end plate with the spring end sticking out. Put the end of the spring in the hole in the hex nut and turn it clockwise until the follower stops.  Now take the top flat edge (at 12 o'clock) of the hex nut and rotate it clockwise one complete turn and then a little more until that top edge is now at the 1-2 o'clock position and push it into the recess in the end plate and tighten the center bolt.  That is the factory spring setting.  By turning the hex nut futher before pushing it into the end plate you can increase the follower tension.

Give it a try and see how it works.