Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tight Chamber?

kmitchl

I'm having difficulty getting 147 gr Zero bullets to chamber check in my stock G34 barrel. I normally shoot 147 gr Berrys, however, recently was going to shoot a major match and loaded some 147 Zeros. For match ammo I chamber check every round. Normally I get maybe one or two rejects per hundred in chamber checking. On this batch I got maybe 10 satisfactory and 90 rejects. I had cripmed using a Dillon die so I went back and recrimped with a Lee FCD and increased the crimp. Still no better.

I applied machinist blue to the case and bullet and chambered to diagnose the problem. The only marks were where the case mouth contacts the end of the chamber. I tried the same rounds in a Glock 17 barrel and they chamber check OK. There are no aparent burrs that would cause the rounds to stick. I checked the two chambers with a pin gage and find the diameter pin that just clears at the case shoulder the G17 chamber drags a little in the G34 chamber. I'm thinking I have a chamber that is on the minus side of the tolerance.

Has anyone else seen this? Any thoughts on a fix?

Regards,

Keith

i doubt it's the bullets. i use zero 147gr JHPs in a 34 and have never had a single round that didn't chamber properly.

what die are you using to resize your brass? i use a lee "U" resizing die.

i doubt it's the bullets. i use zero 147gr JHPs in a 34 and have never had a single round that didn't chamber properly.

what die are you using to resize your brass? i use a lee "U" resizing die.

+1. It must be an issue with the press. Was anything changed before you loaded up this particular batch?