Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Start Position For The S. C. Rimfire Pistol Tournament

pmd

Looks like the Rimfire Pistol Tournament portion of the SC will have a new start position.

According to the match application:

"There will be a flag on the ground, straight down range, approximately 12' away from the shooter. The shooter must be aiming at the flag to begin each string of fire."

I personally like this start position ... no gaming :D

Edited by pmd

Looks like the Rimfire Pistol Tournament portion of the SC will have a new start position.

According to the match application:

"There will be a flag on the ground, straight down range, approximately 12' away from the shooter. The shooter must be aiming at the flag to begin each string of fire."

I personally like this start position ... no gaming :D

Great news, and a welcome change (IMO anyway).

Those of us with "different" body shapes hopefully will like this change.

It'll be interesting to see what the 22 times are this year.

Shot it that why this weekend and did not really care for it.

It just was a different starting position more then anything bad.

In fact, I do think it is a great idea.

It added about 13 seconds to my score.

The biggest issue I have with it is how it will be handled.

Will the flag be 12' in front of the starting box or the center of the stage?

How will the RO have you start? Looking at the flag or at the plate? Of course the firearm has to be pointing at the flag but does that mean you have to be looking at the flag?

Spoke to Mike Dalton about this and his reply was "what ever the RO allows".

If it was defined if you have to be looking at the flag and the positions of the flags then I will be 100% behind this new rule. Right now I can only be 95% behind it.

I didn't shoot the rimfire side event last year, so....when pointing at the flag, do we still have to maintain elbows at sides?

My understanding is that the "elbows at the sides" will be replaced by pointing the pistol at the flag.

I have seen many "odd" start positions when using "elbows at sides" this new start position should be straight forward - one points the muzzle of the pistol at the flag and starts shooting when the buzzer sounds.

• 1 month later...

BJ, if you dont mind, how much time(extra or less) did you find with the new start position? I have only set up Speed Option and 5 to Go and shot it with rimfire so far.

I found with Speed Option, starting at the right, it added around .02 on the first shot. On Five to Go I didnt really see any difference on the first shot. This start position will require far more patience for the first shot than before being able to index on the target in the start position, IMHO.

Just wondering if I am seeing it correctly..... :blink:

Thanks,

DougC

Doug,

In all honesty, I can't tell you at this point since I haven't had a chance to practice any Steel Challenge with USPSA Nationals next week and this being the first year I've shot rimfire I don't have a baseline to go off of. Your times sound about right, and you're definitely right about taking more patience on the first shot, I think the biggest time differences will be on S&H and Accelerator since those targets are farthest off of the center line, I wish they had put a flag in front of each target, allowing the shooter to choose which one they started on, but at least its the same for everybody as it is.