Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving N/s Targets Idpa

TxD

A portion of a stage has 3 shoot targets and 1 N/S hidden from view behind a wall.

These 4 targets cannot be seen from the start position and are only visible after moving to the wall.

After taping between shooters, with the next shooter at the start position, the SO moves the N/S to a new position among the shoot targets.

Is this a legal stage since it is not the same for all competitors?

Edited by TxD

I've seen it done with the "intent" on challanging the next shooter as to the whereabouts of NS targets (so as force shooters to "look" for the NS as opposed to rely on memory).

If not done VERY carefully (as to maintain equal transition distances) it DOES change the stage for some who may be disadvantaged by the various transition distance/times between targets therby affecting run times. Now some may discount this difference but it is a very real time difference, sometimes the difference between 1st and 2nd place in a match.

As far as doing this with ONLY 3 shoot targets and 1 no shoot the transition time between the two end targets is different than the transition time between two adjacent targets.

I've seen it done with the "intent" on challanging the next shooter as to the whereabouts of NS targets (so as force shooters to "look" for the NS as opposed to rely on memory).

If not done VERY carefully (as to maintain equal transition distances) it DOES change the stage for some who may be disadvantaged by the various transition distance/times between targets therby affecting run times. Now some may discount this difference but it is a very real time difference, sometimes the difference between 1st and 2nd place in a match.

As far as doing this with ONLY 3 shoot targets and 1 no shoot the transition time between the two end targets is different than the transition time between two adjacent targets.

Thanks for the input.

Why is moving N/S targets not a violation of the CoF rule 21 on page 13?

"After the match has started, all course design changes are final."

Is moving a N/S not a course design change?

Thanks again.

Why is moving N/S targets not a violation of the CoF rule 21 on page 13?

"After the match has started, all course design changes are final."

Is moving a N/S not a course design change?

Thanks again.

To me the COF describes the movement of the "hands," thus there is no change to the coures design. Moving the "hands" in an inherent part of the COF.

Now moving them, such that the COF is different visually, but is not a different challenge, that is easier or harder for some shooters, is where the rubber meets the road.

As usual, any COF can be done well, or poorly, or somewhere in between.

Ken Reed

• 1 year later...

I think such stages require special care that no one configuration is any faster than another. I've seen some moving hands that you got lucky if they were on a particular target, and unlucky if they were on one of the other 2-3 options.