Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turn Draw

sgtlt

Different techniques for different body types...I am right handed, and turn to my right. On the beep, I take my left foot and step in front of my right, and pivot on both balls of my feet.

One key thing is that start procedure, props, and other funky business are there to distract you from what's really important: the shooting. When distractions are thrown your way, the best way around them is to do what you are used to doing and move on.

When you turn and draw, your grip, stance, and posture should be the same as that of your normal draw. If you allow yourself to be hindered by a poor stance, you are selling yourself short. It this past Front Sight magazine, Matt Burkett stated that one of the best ways to carry mags on a stage where all of your ammo is placed on a table, is to, on the beep, PLACE IT ON YOUR BELT. Where do you practice your reloads from? Your belt.

What does your normal shooting stance look like? The end result of refining your turn and draw should look just like that.

Here are several other threads that contain information on this:

El Prez

Video Critique

Feeling Tense

Tips from SA

• 3 weeks later...

I got some good advice from a local GM who told me to leave the foot I swing around (not the pivot foot) slightly unsettled, sort of still on the toes. Leave it this way as you break the shots on the first set. On the reload, go for your normal footing. Doing this gets you on target faster with less disruption of the sights. I don't think I explained it well, but I saw him do it and he was fast!

• 2 weeks later...

I have shot a lot of El Presidentes (and seen them shot) in the 10.5-11 hit factor range starting from a less than stellar shooting platform. For me, the real key is to get my head turned around quickly and to look directly at the very spot I want to hit on the first target. The body seems to be able to sort the rest out on it's own. Yeah, I know that's over simplified, but heck if the eyes are doing their thing and the fire control doesn't turn to trash... ;)

Edited by Ron Ankeny

Just study this... notice how there is very little weight on the strong side foot? ;). Steve does it the same. That saves you all that time to transfer it to the weak side. It also sets your balance/pivot point, so you have less variables when you turn.

http://www.3gunrules.com/video/3.02_El_Prez.wmv

Edited by JThompson

I have shot a lot of El Presidentes (and seen them shot) in the 10.5-11 hit factor range starting from a less than stellar shooting platform. For me, the real key is to get my head turned around quickly and to look directly at the very spot I want to hit on the first target. The body seems to be able to sort the rest out on it's own. Yeah, I know that's over simplified, but heck if the eyes are doing their thing and the fire control doesn't turn to trash... ;)

+1 on the fast target acquisition by getting the head around first...