Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems With Wsp Primers In Dillon 550

Folks - I recently ran out of Federal 100s, so I bought a case of Winchester Small Pistol primers. I'm having two distinct problems: First, the primers don't seat properly unless I pause at the top of the stroke, right before I start the priming part of the stroke, then REALLY put some ompff into it. Second, the primers want to grab the edge of the primer pocket on the way in a couple of times per tubeful. This happened with both of the small primer bars I have. This never happened with any other primers, including WSRs.

Am I holding my mouth wrong, or what?

I use wsp primers all the time to load 9mm and 38 special. I had a few problems with a couple 9mm brass, and saw that the primer pocket had a nick in it preventing it from allowing a new primer in. I would also clean the small pocket primer bar, but figured you probably already did that. Are you using the same brass as before? Try some new brass to see if it is the brass or primers or machine.

Redwoods

Push down on the edge of the shellplate between stations 2 &3, see if it feels springy. If it does, then try tightening the shellplate bolt down a bit, until the springiness goes away and the shellplate still rotates. :ph34r:

I have had no problems with any primers, including the WSPs that I've probably loaded the most with on a 550.

Sounds like you're getting some flex in the mechanism, more than truly requiring excessive force to get a full seating. Is your handle tight on the press? I'm always re-screwing mine in every 25 strokes or so. Otherwise, I'm up against the ammo dump ramp and primers aren't always fully seated. The handle just flexes too much when a 1/12-turn loose.

As for primers catching at the edge of the pockets, did your primer ram get out of adjustment, laterally, on your last changover from large primers, or any other removal? I had that happen once, corrected it easy by loosening the two screws, cramming the ram all the way down (compressing the spring), and only then putting the final torque on the primer feed mount screws. This was a primer "problem" NOT caused by any brand of primer, but by the mechanism.

The other possibility is that your cases are drifting out of being centered on the shellplate on the ram's downstroke. Is that paper-clip thingy at station one holding the cases IN? Did you put the wrong shellplate in at the last changover? I've done both, and there are limits to the self-centering tendencies of the machine. I think one involved loading .40s on the .38 Special plate, or something like that. It worked for several hundred rounds, then started misbehaving. Oh well.

If none of this helps, I don't know what to suggest without more details.

Edited by Grump