Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Load For Production?

What people are talking about is felt recoil, not actual recoil energy. Light bullets at high velocity tend to give a quick, snappy recoil. Because it is felt over a short time period it feels harder. Heavier bullets at lower velocities are more of a slow push, i.e. "softer". Even though the energy is the same the combinations feel quite different. The weight of the pistol and how it is sprung also has a large effect on the way the recoil feels.

texaschase

I don't have a good answer for you. I would think that if two loads (with different bullet weights) produced the same power factor; then they would produce the same energy.

Actually, no.

Power factor increases directly with the weight and velocity of the bullet. It's a simple multiplication Power Factor = M x V. Energy increases directly with the weight of the bullet and the square of the velocity. The formula, which Albert Einstein made so famous, is E = M x V squared. A change in bullet weight effects both measures the same. A change in velocity has a much greater impact on energy than it does no power factor.

While energy and felt recoil are not exactly the same, they are related. Using a heavier bullet and lower velocity, can result in the same power factor, but less energy and, usually, less felt recoil.

Lee

Thanks Lee. I am sure you understand E=MC square, therefore, I'll take your word on this subject.

It just seems to me in physics (over 40 years ago) there was something about the force generated to move an object in one direction created a force that was equal in the opposite direction. Heck, I have been living a lie all these years. Now I'm mad! You have shattered my life. :wacko:

Thanks for the clarification.

Buddy

Another part of the equation is the powder burn rate and the amount used. Using a fast powder in small quantities is softer shooting than using a slower burning powder in larger quantities. I use Titegroup with 147 gr. bullets at the starting charge and that makes 135 pf. On the other hand, I have a load for 124 gr. with W231, but to make 130 pf, it is at max charge. The 147 is much softer shooting.

I use Titegroup with 147 gr. bullets at the starting charge and that makes 135 pf.

Who's manual/data are you using and what brand/shape bullets? Or please list the charge and OAL. Thanks.

I too like shooting 147's (LFP & Berry's Plated) from my BHP and S&W 915... They took the 915 from paterning like a shotgun, to actually shooting well...

I think the "softer" feeling has to do with the physics of the exit velocity of the round... a 147 leaves the muzzle at a much slower velocity, resulting in the "push" felt rather than the "snap" from higher velocity 115 loads...

JMHO

Billy