Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

355 Vs 356 Lead

redwoods

I just got some 122gr lead tc bullets for my 9mm 1911. I bought them for a good price and will use them for practice. They were labeled 9mm 122gr and when they came, the package said 9mm 122gr .356 diameter. They are lead trunicated cone. Will these shoot of my 1911? And will they perform different than the .355?

I thought 355 diameter was 9mm and 356 was 38super.

Redwoods

I'm using moly lead by bear creek and i love them got 30,000 of it and would definitely work on my Gm open card this year. so far my old open gun has schumman .355 barrel and this barrel likes both .355 and .356

my new open gun has kkm barrel .355 but doesnt like .356 and would somtimes jam and not fully chamber on me. got some .355 125 zero and no problem. just depends on how your barrel is? hope this helps.

.355" is the correct size for a "jacketed" bullet in most 9x19 bbls.

.356" is correct for a "lead" bullet in a 9x19 bbl (9mm bbls are .355 typically) as it needs to be a tad larger than the bore to seal properly or gas cutting will cause excessive leading.

It depends on your barrel and chamber. The groove diameters in both 9x19 and .38 Super are usually .355". As stated above, .356" is the normal size for lead bullets in 9x19; you can use up to .358" lead bullets (don't try it with jacketed) if your chamber and throat allow it. Some European guns are notorious for having larger-than-standard groove diameters and almost require the larger bullets.