Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 And Titegroup

Tattoo

when you guys say 3.6grs is that +/-.1 .2 etc...? does all of your powder measures throw 3.6 consistently? if so, what powder measures are you using?

I dont know about the other guys, but I use a commercial balance that measure _grams_ to 0.001. With that level of precision, I can easily measure _grains_ to 0.01. Of course, the powder dropper generally throws something on the order of 0.05 to 0.1 grains plus or minus. So on an individual charge basis, its like you're saying....if you set your powder measure for 3.6, dont be surprised if between variation on the part of the powder measure and rounding errors you get a 3.5 or a 3.7 once in a while .

But if you base your measurements on an average of several throws, you can work inside of the variations of the powder droppe and inside of the precision of your scale. For instance, if you throw 10 charges and weigh them, you've effectively increased the accuracy of your scale by an order of magnitude (a scale that reads to 0.1 grains, is now effectively measuring 0.01 grains), plus you've averaged out some of the variation thrown by the dropper.