Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 And Titegroup

Tattoo

Anyone got a load for minor with titegroup with a 180gr bullet?

180 Gr. Berry's FP

3.5 Gr. Titegroup

WSP

1.120 OAL

Using this with a XD .40 Tactical and getting about 760fps. Not the softest but little muzzle rise.

Deends on your goals, If you mainly load major and are just looking for a servicable low power load you should be ok with 3.6-3.8 grs, If you are looking for a good main effort minor load Tightgroup is not the way to go. TG does not take up much case room and when you start getting down to 140pf in .40 you will notice your SD's rising and your group size along with it. This drop off is pretty drastic and sudden at one level ok .2 grs down and al over the place. Look for powders that take up alot of room in the case. IE Clays, Universal, Unique.. the last are a little slow for ideal but alot of people Like them. All that being said I buy Tightgroup by the Keg. It is nearly best for Major Limited .40 loads, Ok for IDPA loads (I load 140pf) and great in full power 9mm (wifes play gun, and both of our carry guns)

Deends on your goals, If you mainly load major and are just looking for a servicable low power load you should be ok with 3.6-3.8 grs, If you are looking for a good main effort minor load Tightgroup is not the way to go. TG does not take up much case room and when you start getting down to 140pf in .40 you will notice your SD's rising and your group size along with it. This drop off is pretty drastic and sudden at one level ok .2 grs down and al over the place. Look for powders that take up alot of room in the case. IE Clays, Universal, Unique.. the last are a little slow for ideal but alot of people Like them. All that being said I buy Tightgroup by the Keg. It is nearly best for Major Limited .40 loads, Ok for IDPA loads (I load 140pf) and great in full power 9mm (wifes play gun, and both of our carry guns)

Joe,

Thanks for the info. That is kinda waht I wanted to know. It seems everyone is using

it for a major load but I shoot production mainly for now. I have been using bullseye

w/ 3.8gr and getting an SD of 6 and great groups, but I just wanted to give the Titegroup

a try. Call it peer pressure :D Plus its cheaper than bullseye........

T

I load WW 231 behind a 200 grain moly bullet @ 700 fps. and 140 pf (load is in the Winchester loading magazine). It is as mild or milder than a soft 9mm and it is very accurate in my 40's. I use it for steel or to teach new shooters.

Buddy

I've been messing around with 4.0grn TG and a MG 155 loaded at 1.135 through a Glock 35 for a while. Shoots good enough for me and the 155's are cheaper than the 180's. My load for the 180's is 3.6grn TG.

I've used TG and 180's with great success in minor. Hit the search function...you should find tons of info.

Flex,

Thanks for the input, I did search and not as much there for minor as for major.

I am going to start out at 3.6 and work my way up. The only reason I ask is that

at reduced powder levels I have heard that funny things can happen. Bullseye

worked great down to 3.4 with stock springs(G23) , but ya never know with a new powder.

Thanks again,

T

My Standard G35 minor load with KKM barrel:

3.6 grains Titegroup @ 1.135" = 768 FPS/138 PF = 13.31 SD using Precision Delta 180s.

Some loads I worked up not long ago:

3.6 grains Titegroup @ 1.121" = 770 FPS/127 PF = 15.35 SD using Rainier 165s

3.7 grains Titegroup @ 1.121" = 791 FPS/131 PF = 9.12 SD using Rainier 165s

3.8 grains Titegroup @ 1.121" = 834 FPS/138 PF = 9.87 SD using Rainier 165s

3.9 grains Titegroup @ 1.121" = 849 FPS/140 PF = 13.99 SD using Rainier 165s

4.0 grains Titegroup @ 1.121" = 890 FPS/147 PF = 13.94 SD using Rainier 165s

The 3.6 grain 165 load was ungodly accurate (all of them are) but left something to be desired on their first outing in December with a temp of 35 degrees. The gun barely ran (duh). The 3.8 grain load is now the standard for 165 grain bullets.

The only powder I've ever had a terrible problem with was Universal Clays in .45 auto loads. I use Titegroup without a problem in my Major and Minor PF loads for my wife and me.

No minor data? Heck, I know I've posted this about a zillon times, myself...

3.6g at TG at 1.135 OAL with 180g bullet will be all the building up you will need to do.

I see that others are posting their OAL...which is good...some of those OALs are too long for many guns.

OAL's should be adjust to "whatever your gun likes". Go too long (in non-1911 based guns, for example) and run the risk of the bullet engaging the rifling while just sitting in the chamber...causing pressure.

Flex,

thanks for the help, you rock man. I guess i'm just not searching with the

right words. Garbage in, garbage out :rolleyes:

Anyway I'll try the 3.6gr and see how my gun likes it and I won't even have to

change the OAL on my Dillon :D

take care,

T

No minor data? Heck, I know I've posted this about a zillon times, myself...

3.6g at TG at 1.135 OAL with 180g bullet will be all the building up you will need to do.

I see that others are posting their OAL...which is good...some of those OALs are too long for many guns.

OAL's should be adjust to "whatever your gun likes". Go too long (in non-1911 based guns, for example) and run the risk of the bullet engaging the rifling while just sitting in the chamber...causing pressure.

This load worked very well for me and I'll probably switch back to it now that I got a good deal on MG 180's. I'd call this THE load for a Glock 35 in Production. ;)

For my XD40 tac with Bear Creeks we are running 3.3-3.4 with a 18# spring to make it reliable. The OAL is 1.135 with a PF of around 140-145ish. Yeah its not exactly way down there but it works and steel doesn't have a chance.

• 2 weeks later...
I use 3.4 grains of Titegroup with WSP primers and 180 gr Montana Gold CMJ's and get about 128-129 pf out of my G35. I go to 1.140" on my OAL.

Dan

I knew you were shooting minor!

My Standard G35 minor load with KKM barrel:

3.6 grains Titegroup @ 1.135" = 768 FPS/138 PF = 13.31 SD using Precision Delta 180s.

Some loads I worked up not long ago:

3.6 grains Titegroup @ 1.121" = 770 FPS/127 PF = 15.35 SD using Rainier 165s

3.7 grains Titegroup @ 1.121" = 791 FPS/131 PF = 9.12 SD using Rainier 165s

3.8 grains Titegroup @ 1.121" = 834 FPS/138 PF = 9.87 SD using Rainier 165s

3.9 grains Titegroup @ 1.121" = 849 FPS/140 PF = 13.99 SD using Rainier 165s

4.0 grains Titegroup @ 1.121" = 890 FPS/147 PF = 13.94 SD using Rainier 165s

The 3.6 grain 165 load was ungodly accurate (all of them are) but left something to be desired on their first outing in December with a temp of 35 degrees. The gun barely ran (duh). The 3.8 grain load is now the standard for 165 grain bullets.

The only powder I've ever had a terrible problem with was Universal Clays in .45 auto loads. I use Titegroup without a problem in my Major and Minor PF loads for my wife and me.

From a reloading rookie - "What's the acronym SD mean, and what is it's significance?"

Interesting info. I've been playing with lighter 40 cal rounds for practice and plate shoots. I normally shoot 4.6gr of TG with a Montana Gold 180gr JHP to make Major. When I dropped the load down to 4.0 gr I got horrible accuracy. I thought I must have screwed something up but maybe it's more like what you said above. I'll bump it up a bit and test again. I haven't chrono'd any of the light loads because unless it's accurate I won't be using it.

-Cuz.

My G35 likes this load with Berry's 180 HP's and Fed. primers .

A little bit of fine soot , but the bore stays fairly clean .

Travis F.

SD = Standard Deviation

The smaller the number the more consistent the velocities.

Ya know, right after posting that question, I realized that is what the acronym meant. Thanks for pointing out the significance of the number.