Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reliable Self-defense Gun

sam sanfilippo

You should check technique. Wife and I alternate guns for matches. She will have issues where I don't and vice versa. Same ammo (my reloads) doesn't seem to matter.

With minimal gunsmithing Revolvers and Glocks are high on my list but I've competed with each and had issues with all except the Glocks (although my wife will). I've had mechanical issues with S&W and GP100 too!

Before anyone says anything ... I can't win with the GP100, I know, I just love shooting it :D Besides, I'm into it for fun and "practical." I own it so I shoot it.

There's a lot of good guns listed on this thread. I would recommend you spend a lot of time at the range with any gun you decide to carry. Gunsmith it if you need to / want to. If you can't get it to work for you, move on. Change technique (grip, stance etc.). This is where competition can be helpful for you. The stages tease out potential problems in situations you would not necessary discover in normal practice. For me, I have no problem with loosing a match with a gun I own and want to work with. The competition aspects of IPSC shooting helps me to be my personal best with that particular gun. Our club puts on special matches for ccw (Thank You).

As you can also see from this thread, different people come up with different good answers for themselves. You're carrying it for a good reason. You owe it to yourself to come up with the most workable answer for yourself personally.

S&W Airweight in .38

its light, fits in your jean pocket, and will go bang when you need it to.

I don't want to thread-jack this, but you bring up something I was thinking about recently. I normally carry a 1911 in a IWB for daily carry. About a year ago I picked up an airweight for the days when I didn't want to carry my TRS.

However, it creeps me out to have the gun in my front pocket (in a kramer pocket holster), because when I sit down (e.g. at a restaurant), the muzzle is pointing at whoever is sitting across from me, such as my wife or son. I know it's in a holster tha protects the trigger, but I don't feel comfortable carrying it that way. And if I'm going to get a belt holster for it, I might as well carry my 1911.

Anyone else feel this way, or am I being dumb?

Not dumb at all... you are basically, sweeping with a loaded gun... a pucker factor in my book. Even though it's DA it would still bug me. Something that is carried pointed down, even when sitting, makes me feel better. ;)

I've been shooting a Beretta PX4 since my 2011 is off for HC. I've put maybe 5000 runs through it with zero problems. I even shot some OAL that was way to long and it eat them up fine. Cleaning is a breeze and I would have no qalms about depending on it to work every time. That said, the gun that sleeps with me is a Smith 38 wheel gun. :)

Edited by JThompson

A couple of years ago, I bought a Glock because everyone I talked to said that it would be a reliable self defense gun. Unfortunately, my Glock jammed whenever I tried to use hollowpoints in it. After 27000 rounds of trying everthing I could think of to make it work (including sending it back to Glock for repairs) I finally sold it. I am now trying to find another gun. I've been renting some 1911s, but so far the results have not been encourageing. Many of the rental guns jammed even with round nosed full metal jacket bullets. I want a full sized steel frame gun, preferably in .45 ACP. It may as well be a single stack, since I live in California. What would you recommend?

Sorry to hear about your problems with your glock. But when you say self defense gun are you looking for something for the house or for carry?

Inside the house, I would recommend a 20/12 gauge shotgun. I personally like the 20, because of less recoil and follow up shots, plus the wife can shoot it also. IN a house scenario you don't want a round that will pentetrate go through the house and into the next house and hit an innocent. So I don't like the ak's/ AR's for this situation, but if you have to you have to. Right

For concealment I like glocks, I am sorry to hear you had a bad one. But I would say 99% of them are reliable. I would try getting another one and trying it out. With all the glocks that I have I have had 2 malfunctions and they where with my limited setup, when I was shooting glock. but they were because I was tinkering with recoil spring to find the lightest/reliable setup, other than that they are flawless out of the box stock.

If you can have only one gun for both house and carry it would be a glock 40 cal with good hollowpoints, it doesn't matter what brand hollowpoint, as long as it mushrooms and stays in the body.

Hope this helps

PK