Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For Info On N320 With Moly Coated Bullets

big_kahuna

How's the smoking?

Thx.

DM

I have used both WST and Ram Shot Comp. I like both of them. I am currently finishing off 8 pounds of Comp then I will go back to WST. I have also used 320. 320 is the best I have ever tried, but I don't like it enough to off set the price.

I will stick with WST.

Dave, How many grains of WST are you using and what OAL?

LPatterson, What OAL?

THanks guys!!

Darren

Edited by ExtremeShot

How's the smoking?

Thx.

DM

I have used both WST and Ram Shot Comp. I like both of them. I am currently finishing off 8 pounds of Comp then I will go back to WST. I have also used 320. 320 is the best I have ever tried, but I don't like it enough to off set the price.

I will stick with WST.

I load Masterblaster 9mm 147s and 40 caliber 180s. I have tried a lot of different powders and think that WST and Cast or Molly bullets produces the least amount of smoke. I know you didn't ask about cast bullets, but someone else may want to know.

In 40 cal, I use 4.4 grains of WST @ 1.150 OAL.

Edited by Dave C

Anyone have any experience with VV N320 and moly coated bullets? Planning to try N320 with 185 precisions or 180 masterblasters.

Looking for any ballpark load data. Yes I did a search (or a dozen), did not find what I was looking for.

I'll be loading to 1.135 for use in Glocks with KKM barrels.

Masterblaster's website indicates 4.5 or 4.6 grains of N320 will yield 169 PF. The VV data indicates that 4.3 grains is the max load for a Fiocchi 180 grain LTC bullet.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My personal experience with Masterblaster's bullets left much to be desired. I hear their coating/manufacturing process has changed resulting in a cleaner-firing product.

That being said, I had good success with Bear Creek 180grs in a Glock at 1.130 OAL. I used 4.5gr to 4.7gr N320 to make major. In my STI, loaded out to 1.180, I need 5gr N320 to make major.

You can drop the charge to 3.2 gr or so for a very soft-shooting minor load, though I would use a 15# spring then.

My personal experience with Masterblaster's bullets left much to be desired. I hear their coating/manufacturing process has changed resulting in a cleaner-firing product.

Masterblasters changed their coating literally YEARS ago. You should give the current bullets a try.

Try different powders (even fast ones), you might be surprised. I switched to MB this year.

The most accurate load for my glock 34 is bullseye over a 150 gr. MB (.357) bullet. The smoke is the nearly the same as FMJ and just as clean in the barrel. No leading at all.

It greatly surprised me (and my friend) for whom I was testing this load. He had some bullseye and MB pills, he wanted to see if it worked in a glock.

It worked so well, he ended up buying a g34 and I switched to this load. More accurate, and less expensive. It was a slam dunk.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

Shot some Ramshot Competition and Masterblaster 180s in my 40 last night at a steel tournament, and it was accurate and pleasant to shoot. The issue I had with leading with the Titegroup and the Masterblaster bullets is still there, although perhaps not as pronounced, and the metal fouling brushed out pretty easily. The Ramshot Competition seemed less smoky. The charge weight is the same, and the Ramshot Competition required a larger cavity in the powder measure, and seemed to fill the case a little more with the same charge weight. No pressure signs at 4.4 grains. I'll continue to use this powder, seeing as I bought 4# of it.

The issue with metal fouling changed location from the grooves in the muzzle end of the barrel to the grooves in the breech end of the barrel with the change of powders. I surely do not understand this at all, but there was little if any smoke I saw shooting these bullets and powder combination.