Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My New Trojan 5.0 In .45 Acp

After an admittedly overly dramatic reaction to my ATF form being "delayed", I picked up my new Trojan 5.0 this afternoon. I ordered it from Bob at Brazos Custom Gunworks. I placed the order on Friday afternoon and Ingi & Bob had the gun out first thing Monday. What a quick turn around.

I added a couple of modifications to the stock gun.

1. Red Micro dot fiber optic front site (same as what will be on my new Limited Gun from Bob)

2. Magwell

3. Ambi Safety

4. Last but not least - Brazos High Performance Package, which includes

a. completely breaking down the gun and examining each part to check for optimal fit and function. Adjustments are made as necessary.

b. a trigger job, setting the trigger to break at a clean, crisp 3 lbs. As a part of the trigger job, he replaced the sear spring and mainspring, recut the primary and secondary sear angles, square up and polish the hammer hooks, and adjust the overtravel screw.

c. tune/adjust the extractor and ejector for fit and reliability and, if needed, adjust the feed ramp for consistent feeding.

d. test fire and sight in the pistol.

It would appear the feed ramp would tuned and polised as well. It was polished to a high shine like that of new chrome.

Upon first inspection there appear to be some fine marks on the slide. Also at the point where the dust cover ends and the visible end of the slide there are some imperfections in the finish. The ambi safety works effortlessly but appears to have already rubbed the finish off underneath it.

With the slim grips the gun fits very well in my smaller hands. STIppling in the front of the grip feels good an allows for a solid confident grip. The magazine eject button dropped the mag free and clear quickly. When I went to put it back in it felt "grainy" like there was something in the mag well. After two or three ejections and insertions the magazine showed signs of a small scratch about 1/4 of an inch from the front edge. Racking the slide also had a little of that same feeling. The mating of frame and slide is just awesome. There is no vertical or horizontal play in there at all.

I was very pleased with the sight picture and the micro dot FO front sight. The red really stands out against the adjustable big black Bomar rear sight.

Shooting Impressions

I shot 150 rounds of UMC ammo.

The trigger job Bob did was amazing. There is no creep in the trigger what so ever. Once you take the slack out it breaks crisp and clean and was a total surprise. A couple of times I was truly caught off guard. Gun appeared to be sighted in perfectly and the grouping at 50 feet off hand were less than 2 inches. I am positive this gun will shoot better than that off a bag or with someone's steadier hand than mine.

The gun did fail to feed one round during the 1st 50. It was almost as if it didn't even try to pick the next round of the top of the mag. Pulling back on the slide and letting it go resolved the problem and it went immediately into battery. After that it ran like a champ.

When I got home, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I got out the 600, 1000 and 1200 grit sand paper and went to town on the slide rails and their mating parts on the frame. I could see immediate areas of wear on these parts so I just made sure they were as slick as they could be. I added a shok buff as well. I wiped everything down, lubed her up and put it back together. The slide feels much smoother now. Not exactly like rubbing two ice cubes together but much closer.

I am very excited to use this in my IDPA match this weekend. Now I just need to dry fire with the IDPA rig and concealment garment.

post-8197-1176351400.jpg

When I got home, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I got out the 600, 1000 and 1200 grit sand paper and went to town on the slide rails and their mating parts on the frame. I could see immediate areas of wear on these parts so I just made sure they were as slick as they could be. I added a shok buff as well. I wiped everything down, lubed her up and put it back together. The slide feels much smoother now. Not exactly like rubbing two ice cubes together but much closer.

Start leaving well enough alone. Shooting it will do a better job on the rails. <_<

Good range report. Did you figure out what the grit was in your magwell?

No I didn't. I wiped everything down inside and out and it seemed to take care of it. When I felt inside the magwell, the part of the frame that was on that side had a pretty sharp edge. It is possible it was that and taking the magazine in and out a bunch has helped.

Start leaving well enough alone. Shooting it will do a better job on the rails. <_<

I guess what I did was speed up what would have happened after shooting it. I suppose I artificially simiulated wear.

I can think of a couple of reasons, but why would you recommend leaving it alone.

I think what he was trying to say is that if Bob went over the gun and thought it needed it he would have done it, and many a great gun has been "overworked" by well meaning people.... ;) Just shoot it and enjoy it, that is why you had Bob give it the once over!

Enjoy your blaster!

DougC

I think what he was trying to say is that if Bob went over the gun and thought it needed it he would have done it, and many a great gun has been "overworked" by well meaning people.... ;) Just shoot it and enjoy it, that is why you had Bob give it the once over!

Enjoy your blaster!

DougC

Thanks Doug. Point well taken, I didn't look at it that way. :mellow:

There is no way you can take off material where it needs to come off with sandpaper by hand. You just took off too much in some areas. Shooting the gun would have broken it in much better. The tight areas will get more wear than the loose ones. Don't do that when you get your Brazos.

There is no way you can take off material where it needs to come off with sandpaper by hand. You just took off too much in some areas. Shooting the gun would have broken it in much better. The tight areas will get more wear than the loose ones. Don't do that when you get your Brazos.

:( I won't touch the Limited Gun, I promise.

To be honest I didn't take off enough to even make the parts shiny. They went from black to dark grey.

I have been enlighted. I realize now I'm a dope <_<

I didn't think that sanding spots on the gun will take high points in the metal down as well as low points down even futher. I understnd now that the break in shooting would just knock down the high points so that everything was even.

I will throw any and all sand paper away when I get home. :P

Anyone want to buy a Dremel? :D That way I am not even tempted.

Edited by Texas HK shooter