Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacing Firing Pin Bushing In 625-8

Gregg K

I'm looking for some guidance from one of our revolver smiths. I have a 625JM that needs the firing pin bushing replaced. The current bushing is slightly below flush with the recoil shield and on rare occasions a primer will hang a little when rotating to the next round. I have searched many forums and found that the advice ranges from no big deal to do to only let S&W perform this delicate operation. The job doesn't look like a big one and I see no specialty tools at Brownell's for the job. I saw a post from Randy that said that the new bushing needs to be staked in place. I don't see where the original bushing is staked so my question is how big of a deal is replacement and how and where should it be staked?

This revolver has almost no original parts left except the frame and cylinder. It has been back to S&W twice and they have sent repair parts. It has had a new barrel, sights, hammer trigger, sear, stocks and a yoke replaced. I'm sick of sending this pig back to S&W and just want to fix this last item myself. It's running good now except for a rare hang on the primer so the new bushing should make it right.

Thanks in advance. I know that with the amount of talent on this forum that someone has done this before.

Mark at Pinnacle did my last one. I know that they are punched out from the rear, then press fit in from the front. I dont know if a little loctite is added or not. I believe that they are then filed flush if they are not completely flush after pushing it in.

Sounds like we need to lobby SW to make us some blued steel 25-2s again so we dont have to deal with the lousy heat treat on the current stainless guns....

Good luck,

DougC

I would like to get rid of the MIM and add back some quality control. Here is the yoke that came in the gun. The end of the barrel on the yoke had a flat spot due to a bad casting and a crack running through it the last 1/2 ".

625_Yoke.jpg

Edited by Gregg K

Gregg,

I would have suggested that you send it back to Smith, but your experience doesn't sound good. I have a couple of contact numbers that I can check on for you tomorrow when I get to my desk. Maybe one of these Good guys can help.

Otherwise my only answer for now is that you should just send it to me, and let me take over your burden. Cleanse your mind.

It took S&W 2 tries to get the one on my m29 done. The first time it was cocked with .030" sticking up on one side. But they did turn it around fast each time and they paid for the 2nd shipping.

Talk about horrible QC, on that crane!!!! Yikes!!!