Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This is a wierd one.

DWLS

I have been experiencing intermittent hammer follow on my IPSC guns. Some have been factory with factory triggers, some have been factory guns with Cylinder and Slide parts, one has been a custom gun with C+S trigger parts.

Two very competent gunsmiths have struggled with this with minimal success. This problem has occurred with high round count (50k) and low round count (10k) guns.

These guns have all been STI/SV 2011 guns.

My question is "Could a very tight grip be causing this?"

Looking for thoughtful discussion and input on a very frustrating problem.

Have you changed your grip or the way you pull the trigger? Does it only happen when you're going for very fast splits?  It's possible to make the hammer fall on any pistol if you manipulate the trigger just right  ( wrong ). A very light grip can let your trigger finger bounce against the trigger causing hammer fall.

Thank you for the thoughtful responses.

1. If it is the disconnector, that would mean that it (the disconnector) was tilting forward slightly? What did you do to fix this....and to test to see if this was the problem?

2. I have been told by observers that I have a very tight grip. My understanding that TT squeezes so tight that his mags in 2011 types guns won't fall free.

2a. It only seems to happen when shooting relatively fast, i.e splits of .17 or so. But NOT consistently.

The only consistent thing is that I have follow problems with both of my current 2011 guns.

I had a similar problem and it was a grip with the molded in metal part cracked. Didn't find it until it finally broke. Drove me crazy.  I really doubt you have 2 cracked grips, zillion to 1 odds, but it might back up your grip crush theory.

"What did you do to fix this....and to test to see if this was the problem?"

Remove the slide and sight down the back edge of the mag well with the hammer cocked - you do not want to see ANY part (the bottom) of the disconnector sticking out into the mag well. If it is, the easiest solution is to just carefully belt-sand or file of the protruding part of the disconnector.

Another issue - In addition to never shooting a gun if the hammer would follow when dropping the slide and holding the trigger to the rear, I would never shoot a gun if the hammer fell while dropping the slide on an empty chamber while NOT holding the trigger. (Many will say this test is inappropritate because the trigger is (or should be) held to the rear while the gun is cycling.) I've found, for me, when shooting or TRYING to shoot fast, I can make the hammer follow because I can get my finger off or at least part way off the trigger before the slide closes. I've observed many others who unfortunately could do this as well.

This phenomena would only occur for me if I was unnecessarily tense on the gun, like if I was TRYING to shoot quickly.

be

Thanks for the continued data. I have not changed my shooting style, but explain the "riding the trigger."

I will take a look at that disconnector as b.e. suggested.

The tight grip I use is just my nature, I guess. It only does this when I am shooting what, for me, passes for fast. But NOT everytime.....

Both of these guns ONLY repeat ONLY do it when being actually fired....they will pass the slide slamming forward test until the cows come home. If it wasn't so frustrating it would be an interesting project, academically.

Ridding the trigger is keeping your finger in contact with the trigger as you let it reset.  The goal is to have as small an amount of trigger movement as possible.  Some people can do this so well it will cause the hammer to fall.

I have caused a hammer to follow. I can't do it on demand, but I have done it. there is a local shooter here that can do it on demand with anybodies 1911/2011. I've seen him do it. Not with mine mind you. Last mont, after a match , I saw him do it with at least 5 different guns. Some followed, some doubled, but he did it with every one.