Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting A Call -- Your Gun Has Arrived...

boo radley

Last summer, in a moment of weakness, I got really tired of wondering if I'd shoot an STI better than my Glocks in Limited, so I put in an order for a custom build -- fairly basic gun; short dust-cover and no frills.

I thought about a stock Eagle, or something, but conventional wisdom here says -- "Get a gunsmith to build one -- you'll never regret it." So I did a little research, and a guy out of Texas, Mike Caylor, of Caylor Custom Guns, has been recommended here by a couple folks, and he offered exactly what I was looking for at an attractive price, as a package. He was a former gunsmith for STI, too.

Well, 'twas a bit of a wait, I must admit, but the communication was good, and I know he had some health problems. He also went above and beyond in making things right, by way of apology.

Two days ago the gun arrived, and it's something else. :)

Shot a couple hundred rounds through it last night, which did nothing to help a nasty case of tennis elbow, but couldn't resist. Very accurate, no issues. I will need to get used to the trigger (about 2-2.5lbs, with Extreme Engineering parts), after the Glock. I doubled it twice, accidentally, riding the reset. Next weekend is the SC Sectional, and I'm thinking, "Hmmm..." Maybe spend some time with her, first.

Also -- bought some new Dawson 140mm mags, and with the +1 basepad, damned if I can figure out how to get more than 18 in each. Anyway:

caylor.jpg

caylor1.jpg

Boo, very nice looking blaster! I'm sure it shoots as good as it looks and well worth the wait.

You didnt mention what caliber, so I assume its .40 cal. If so, STI standard mag capacities from their website are:

140mm Magazine Capacities

9mm/.38, 20 rounds

.40 cal., 17 rounds

.45 cal., 14 rounds

So, with the +1 basepads, you should only be getting 18.

If you want 20, the grams follower (I believe) is +1, and the 4mm grams basepad is +2 = 20.

Enjoy....are you shooting it at SWGC this weekend?

Nice blaster! After you use them a while, you'll probably be able to squeeze an extra round in the mags. Most of mine did that after a couple of weeks, but one never changed. If you swap out the spring and follower for a Grams you should get 20 without much trouble. If you also swap to a Grams 4mm basepad the 20th will go in a bit easier, but either way 20 isn't too hard.

Thx all -- good tips on the mags! I'll shoot them as-is for a bit, and see what happens.

Paul, I probably will shoot Sir Walter tomorrow - hope to see ya' there!

TexasHK -- no, the wait wasn't much fun, especially since it was unanticipated.

First, spent some time being remorseful (still a twinge of that). Deep down, I really do know it's the Indian, etc, and a Glock wasn't holding me back.

Second, it's flat out *AMAZING* how many great guns at steal-it-now prices roll across the classified section of the forum, while you're waiting for yours. <grin>

Third -- at some point, it seems to make perfect sense to get on the phone to Speed Shooters, and get a brand-new SVI in your hot hands..tomorrow. Just a matter of a credit card.

Boo, great looking gun!! You are well ahead of buying one 'off the rack' no matter what the brand name is. The others are right that the Grams follower and spring will get you one more round and possibly two. I think the Dawson Competition follower with an ISMI spring is more reliable though, and I get 19 rounds in most of my magazines with that combo and a Dawson +1 pad. A couple do 20 rounds and a couple do that 20 reloadable. ALL of them hold at least 19 though. Put 18 in them and leave them loaded, when you can get 19 in them leave 19 in them for a few days. The springs will be more cooperative as they take a small set.

What is with the serrations on the left side of the frame? Left handed?

It is INCREDIBLE for sure how many great deals go across the classifieds here and at USPSA when you send money out for a new gun or buy the parts to build a new one. VERY hard to watch sometimes.....

Steve, I know you must be relieved that your pistol finally arrived. It looks really well done. You should run it at next Tuesdays match to really give the IDPA hardliners some gamer complaints. With everything they let slide, I'm sure they could consider that ESP for a night. :blink:

Steve, I know you must be relieved that your pistol finally arrived. It looks really well done. You should run it at next Tuesdays match to really give the IDPA hardliners some gamer complaints. With everything they let slide, I'm sure they could consider that ESP for a night. :blink:

Yup, the serrations are an anchor point for the weak-hand thumb. Wasn't my idea, but it's a nifty touch...

Barry -- I am relieved and pleased. I think I will bring it next Tues., I can probably get by with RWR's, since the slide doesn't lock back, but they're going to hate seeing the CR-Speed rig. <grin>

Speaking of which -- I think it's time you visit USPSA Single-Stack, or L10, with that fine Nighthawk you just got in. You should hit tomorrow's match at Sir Walter. Seriously.

Drop me a PM, if you want to ride up there...

Boo,

I'm in the same boat. Put my money down last fall with Mike Caylor to build a limited gun. I'm hoping to get the same call here shortly.

I too have been suprised how many used guns I've seen on here since I ordered mine.

It's good to hear you've been pleased with Mike's work. Can't wait to get mine.

Edited by BNorth

Hey Steve,

I didnt get to make it up to SWGC, how'd that fancy new blaster do for you today?

Ha -- it was almost a *really* short day. :blink:

Drove up there with another forum member, 'bp78'. First stage, and "LAMR'd", and on the beep -- BAM! Sent a shot 11' into the dirt in front of me. I felt like hell; the AD wasn't close enough for a DQ (barely), but still...Caylor gave me the trigger I asked for -- I just have to learn how to use it. :)

Shook that off, and the rest of the stages were pretty rough, but that's my fault, not the gun's. Had mike's left and right, a blown reload, where I didn't seat the mag...<shudder> One of those days where I don't really want to see the results. Good match, though with some nice stages. Martin changed up his field course a bit -- was very interesting.

Are you shooting South Carolina? I think I'll be bringing the Glock, until I can get some serious practice time in, with the new gun.

BNorth -- sent you a PM, in case you still see red X's. My hosting company is flaky.

Steve

Are you shooting South Carolina? I think I'll be bringing the Glock, until I can get some serious practice time in, with the new gun.

Steve

LOL, my first match when I switched from Glock to STI was also a dissaster! Mags falling out, fumbled reloads, trigger freeze, etc. I still hear about it occassionally!

I plan to call first thing next week, I wasnt sure I'd have the ammo or the money so I had to wait. If they still have spots, I'll be there....let you know!

Dont be scared!!! Take that new blaster out this week and PRACTICE!!!! :D

Paul