Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mono-grip

Russell,

that is a similiar looking product and concept to something MSP was trying to sell a year or so ago. The earlier version did not sell real well. My opinion is that it is no different than the forearm grips that some are prone to use. It just happens to somehow magically extend longer, so it should be considered legal.

And just for the sake of discussion, how is this different than using a magazine as a stabilizing device? The whole argument against stabilizing devices in a "tactical" class puzzles me.

Of course, my opinion and a buck gets you a cup of coffee.

Edited by Cactustactical

Interesting - the current USPSA Rulebook states that the use of bipods and "similar" devices are disallowed.

It depends on how Clinton-esque one wanted to be in the interpretation of "similar" - philosophically, the "intent" of the device appears to all intents and purposes to be the same as a bipod (stabilize the weapon in a shooting position), but one could argue that one leg is "dissimilar" to two legs, e.g. a monopod is no more a bipod than you (presumably) and I are Cyclops... It depends on what the meaning of "is"...is...in a manner of speaking.

Were I inclined to wager, methinks the first argument would prevail, however logical the second (and the difference from mono-podding of a magazine would be...what, exactly?)

It seems to be sold, specifically to act as a monopod.

And that's probably why you're even looking at it right?

I think that's your answer..

I shoot open most of the time at matches that don't have Trooper so I can use my trooper gear (whatever I want)...I was wondering because I run and help run a couple matches throughout the year (non-USPSA) and unless it's something I feel strongly enough about to do different, I generally go by whatever the existing precedent is for rules.

For rifles, there seems to be little functional difference between an tac scope gun and an open gun most of the time. I'd eliminate tac-scope, but competitors (customers) expect to have seperate divisions.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

Yep, only legal for trooper or open.

I believe IMGA states rifle supporting devices are not allowed for tactical class (6.4.5??)......gosh infact if you REALLY read that.....I think even using a 30 round mag is a no no as a 'supporting device'. OK, OK.......yes even I use those nifty little pads for the mags so I can use them as a 'supporting device'.

Read the rules.....then let me know what ya think....sure hope the RM's for these matches dont read this stuff.

Edited by TRUBL

Last year at the TX 3 Gun they let folks use a vertical foregrip but they couldn't extend/open it like this model does. It really wasn't any better than using the mag for a monopod...

I got down low with a 20 for the long shots.