Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crimp Die, Seperate, Wow What A Difference.

waxman

Several publications have suggested using a seperate crimp die when reloading 45 acp. I kinda blew it off as a xtra i didnt need, and jusy crimped with my rcbs seat die. Well i finally picked one up an screwed it in my dillon 550. I have only shot about 20 rounds with this new crimp, but It seems much better. The biggest think i noticed, is when I would release the slide on my kimber, or rack the slide to chamber a round. The new crimped rounds dont seem to slow the slide down at all. How uses a separate crimp die adn noticed an improvement? I suppose everyone does this, and as usual I am just slow to catch on.

I have used the Lee four die setup for years and swear by it. It is much easier to adjust this set up if you use a different bullet as you don't have to readjust the crimp and seating, just the seating die. Gotta love the ease....

Joe W.

• 1 month later...

I've been using the FCD because my Kimber is very sensitive to any bulge or extra flare in the case. It just won't chamber. No problems with the FCD, but I would rather seat and crimp together to save time. I'm using a Redding T7 Turret - stone ages.

I will not use an FCD, but crimping in a separate step isn't a bad thing. My ammo runs whether crimped separately or not, so that isn't an issue. The number one factor leading me to crimp in a separate step is the Redding Competition Seating Die, it is what the reloading world has been waiting for!!!