Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scherer +2

billdncn

I have some that I bought years ago. My question is do you think I'll need replacement springs for reliability?

I was going to slap them on to use for a match this weekend, but I don't want problems.

Thanks

Your not shooting Production division with your Glock?

The +2's will use the stock springs. I can't vouched for the reliablity of the +2's though. (I guess...try them and see.)

Flexmoney, Thanks. I was going to shoot Production, but the G35 is now my Limited gun. Guess I'll have to show the 1911's how it's done! It's a joke people......No flaming :P

I'm going to p/u a G34 soon for Production, and IDPA. Hopfully I'll have one set up before the Major IDPA matches come around.

After doing a search on the web, I see extra power springs are recommended. I'm going to the range today so I guess I'll just see for myself.

Thanks again

Bill

those things will give you headaches, i threw mine in the can after it disentegrated twice on me in a match, get yourself arredondos, you'll never have problems w/ those extensions ;)

Thanks for the heads-up

The Scherer are the least aggregious of the extended base pads--the GLOCK factory units are utterly worthless. The Pierce are right next door, but all three will "speed unload" on you. If you're shooting Limited, do the Arrendondo +5 basepads. They come with the new spring, and while expensive, are utterly reliable.

If you decide to put on the El-Cheapo extenders, you will need to install Wolf +10% springs or your slide may not lock back. If you don't care about that, they do feed reasonably well (right up until the bottom pops off and you're scouring the stage for all your rounds and mag parts).

The Arrendondo are worth the money, IMHO

HK Dan

I haven't used the scherer ext's but most of the scherer stuff is sort of hit or miss, some work well for some people, some don't. I would certainly say to try them out before the match if at all possible. The glock factory ones I've used held up to hundreds of drops on the ground without the speed unload. The trick is to have the right mag with the correct extension. The original mags with the original +2 was sort of ok, but the FML(commonly incorrectly called "drop free") mags don't hold the original +2 pads well at all. The later +2s on the fml mags worked very well for me, though. Mine worked great with stock springs, also. I guess it just depends on your parts.

I would suggest if you continue shooting limited to get arredondos, grams, or taylor +5s. They all have worked well for me. Maybe I'm just too easy? :blink:

Good luck, have fun,

MLM

Bill,

I can't comment on the reliability issue so I won't. I wonder how much the +2 would help, how much of a disadvantage would 17+1 be compared to 20+1? I guess that will depend on the CoF. Your going to be competitive, so don’t go in to begin with at a disadvantage – shoot in L10. See you Sunday.

Edited by SDM

I'd shoot L-10 before I stuck those +2's on my gear...especially on a Friday.

I'm not going to use them. Thanks guys!

Hey flexmoney, since I got you here. You think 4.6grs of TG under a Zero 180gr JHP, with Win. primers at 1.145" oal will make Major ok?

Bill,

I can't comment on the reliability issue so I won't. I wonder how much the +2 would help, how much of a disadvantage would 17+1 be compared to 20+1? I guess that will depend on the CoF. Your going to be competitive, so don’t go in to begin with at a disadvantage – shoot in L10. See you Sunday.

Hey SDM. I read the rules on L-10, and I'm not sure. If using a Glock can I have a steel (replacement) guide rod (added weight), and magwell? Is L-10 like Limited with a 10rd mag limit?

Competitive :unsure: Yeah....if they had an "E" classification

The Scherer are the least aggregious of the extended base pads--the GLOCK factory units are utterly worthless. The Pierce are right next door, but all three will "speed unload" on you. If you're shooting Limited, do the Arrendondo +5 basepads. They come with the new spring, and while expensive, are utterly reliable.

If you decide to put on the El-Cheapo extenders, you will need to install Wolf +10% springs or your slide may not lock back. If you don't care about that, they do feed reasonably well (right up until the bottom pops off and you're scouring the stage for all your rounds and mag parts).

HK Dan

HK Dan, and mlmiller1, Thanks

Edited by billdncn

using a Glock can I have a steel (replacement) guide rod (added weight), and magwell? Is L-10 like Limited with a 10rd mag limit?

Yes and yes.

Hey flexmoney, since I got you here. You think 4.6grs of TG under a Zero 180gr JHP, with Win. primers at 1.145" oal will make Major ok?

That is more than I use. You may need that much and you may not. If you are shooting a local, there won't be a chrono stage to worry about going just under.

I'd play it safe and run 4.2-4.4g

I'd shoot L-10 before I stuck those +2's on my gear...especially on a Friday.

I'm not going to use them. Thanks guys!

Ah, the 11 secret herbs and spices of the whisper recipe.

Just curious Bill, what type of holster/mag pouches are you using?

This is interesting. I have twelve G35 mags set up with Glock +2s mainly because it makes the mags easier for my wife to seat in practice. I only want to load the other eleven 19/20 round mags once per session because after loading all those and my sixteen 21 round Para mags, my thumb is numb :o

We run stages in practice, so they definitely hit the ground often.

At matches she uses 1 for a barney mag and and has a couple more in the bag for use any time the round count works for her, especially classifiers. I use standard springs (probably why they don't speed unload) and haven't had a problem in more than a year of steady use. Of course if I didn't use the inner piece (I have no idea what it's called) for the +2s they would have all kinds of problems.

The +2s I keep getting for free from CDNN usually speed unload minutes after loading them, so they go directly in the trash.

The pair of Arredondo extensions I have run a definite second place to the 9 Dawson extensions I'm using, and I've got to round up that darn tool to get them apart. No way would I get another Arredondo. Dawson all the way!

Using Precision Delta 180s at 1.135 gives me 169 PF out of the G35 using 4.5 grains of Titegroup and Federal primers. Running 4.6 @ 1.145 should make major; 4.5 would be questionable, and anything less is going to go minor from what I'm seeing with my chrono (tested at 55 degrees F).

Thanks all. Looks like L-10 for me.

The reason I'm not using the Sherer's is when I installed a couple of them I didn't like the fit. I could just see one of them disassembling itself at an inappropriate time during the match :wacko:

Longshot here but, anyone going to Fred. want to trade some Glock +5's for some Para 16-40 hi-caps ;)

Ah, the 11 secret herbs and spices of the whisper recipe.

Just curious Bill, what type of holster/mag pouches are you using?

Ha-Ha! JT should be proud of me. Maybe I can be refered to as "Wild Bill" now B). How'bout it Jim?

I'm just using my Bladetech stuff on a 1.75" belt.

Dawson used to have their (black only) +5 mag extensions on "sale" all the time for $30. You can usually get by with 2 or 3.

Listen to JFD since he has been using +2's. I haven't touched them in years. Too scared. :) (I also, have a handful from CDNN. JFD, are those different than what you are using?)

I've got one Dawson pad, one Grams, and a bunch of the Arredondos. I can get at least one, and occasionally two more rounds in the Arredondos than I can in either the Dawson or the Grams pads.....

For me --- it's the opposite opinion of JFD. I'd recommend ordering one of each, or playing with them at a match, if someone has extras, and then making a decision....

"The Scherer are the least aggregious of the extended base pads--the GLOCK factory units are utterly worthless. The Pierce are right next door, but all three will "speed unload" on you. If you're shooting Limited, do the Arrendondo +5 basepads. They come with the new spring, and while expensive, are utterly reliable....

HK Dan"

I agree the Arrendondos are top-notch and, that the "speed unload thing" is a common trait among aftermarket extensions. That said, I've not had any problem whatsoever with Glock's factory +2's. I've ran them with no problem and still do on my G17 and G34. I would also mention that I wouldn't want to rely on any of the "Plus" setups without increasing the mag spring...there is a reason the OEM Plus-2's have the 11 (1-additional) coil spring.

• 2 weeks later...