Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38super Problems

randy01

I have some trouble with my 38super loads.

I used SP2 but the new batch I bought doesn't make major anymore. I have to increase my load substantially to make major and at that point I get very clear pressure signs. Because I read a lot of positive feedback on the forum for 3N38 I gave it a try and I make major with it easily. The problem is that I get a lot of muzzle rise. The flame and that kick are also more but I could live with that but the muzzle rise is just to much.

I use a Shorty with 6 chamber comp and 2 hybrid holes.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Randy

Edited by randy01

All other things being equal, it sounds like a lot to lot variation with the latest SP2 batch being a little faster.

That's not supposed to happen with canister grade powders.

There is always some minor variation but it shouldn't be enough to cause the effects you describe, unless something went way wrong in manufacturing (and quality control).

If you want to try a different powder my shorty does great with N105

If not the powder the first thing that comes to mind is the bullets.

Did you change brands?

Were you using .355 or .356 bullets?

Could you have gotten some .357's mixed in by mistake?

Is it possible that your load is for 125 gr bullets but you inadvertantly tossed some 130's in?

This doesn't have to be your mistake.

I have heard tales of bullet manufacturers making packaging / labeling errors from time to time.

Just my $.02

Tls

Edited by tlshores

The Bullet is a 124gn FMJ RN

The problem with SP2 is something with the powder, I know of other people having the same experience.

Does anybody have an idea for the 3N38 and the muzzle flip?

Quick clarification: Power Factor is 160 for Open. Minimum bullet weight is practical 121 grains. Randy is in Belgium and must follow IPSC rules, not USPSA.

Even at 180 PF, I have never seen pressure signs with N-105 & 9mm supercomp. You should find 3N38 to be quite similar.

Can you describe the pressure signs? What OAL? Any chance the bullet is touching the rifling?

Quick clarification: Power Factor is 160 for Open. Minimum bullet weight is practical 121 grains. Randy is in Belgium and must follow IPSC rules, not USPSA.

Even at 180 PF, I have never seen pressure signs with N-105 & 9mm supercomp. You should find 3N38 to be quite similar.

Can you describe the pressure signs? What OAL? Any chance the bullet is touching the rifling?

The oal is 1.244" the problem with the 3N38 is that I've got a lot more muzzle flip than with SP2

I shoot an SV IMM Open gun, it has 3 holes in the barrel. I load the following:

125gr Zero JHP

10.4 gr VV 3N38

WSRP

1.250 OAL

170 PF

The gun is very flat and the dot never leaves the lens, tracks straight up and down.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Jaxshooter

Benny Hill shorty 4.5 inch (2 poppleholes) and dragoncat in 4.75 inch(hybrid)

using 124 grain of MG

9.1 grains of IMR 4756

OAL is 1.235- 1.240

PF is between 172 to 175.

Dot stay steady 99 percent of the time. A little snappy with the Benny Hill shorty but like the kick of it.