Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alter Glock grips

Victor

Hay Folks

Some of you may think that what I'm about to say is a dumb thing to do(I feel dumb after I done it), but what is done is done, all I can do is to ask for help and suggestions.  I have bought a G35 .40 cal. for USPSA  Lim. 10 class, at first it feel fine, but later I feel like I need to alter the grip a little, example cut under the trigger gard and front strap.  And here comes the problem, I decided to cut the back strap too and gone too far and exposed the inside, so now I have a hole in the gun.  Does anyone know how to patch the hole.

Thank you

P.S. any one whant to buy a G35??? (just kidding)

Call Glock. Tell them what you've done. Send them the gun (maybe just the grip, they'll tell you). At the factory in Smyrna, they can pop out the serial number plate, stick in the machine and build a new grip around it. You will pay money for this; I'm sure it's not covered under warranty. After that, don't cut on your Glock any more.

Somewhere on this site someone redid their backstrap on their glock with some type of filled resin out of Brownells.  I wish I remembered what now.  Depending on where you made the boo boo it may well be repairable.  If you put a hole in the backstrap where the mainspring housing is on a 1911, that's definitely fixable.  If you've put a hole where the fire control mechanism sits, I'm guessing it's time to buy a new grip.  The problem with nylon grips is that not much will chemically bond to it.  You have to depend on a mechanical bond.  So, location will be everything when it comes to gluing.  

You could fill it in with an epoxy and then sand it a bit and fit an Agrip from Brooks Tactical. You could probably even skip the epoxy step (if it's not too big of a hole) and go straight to the Agrip to cover it up.

Victor,

Someone mentioned RoBar in an earlier post, and that would be my FIRST suggestion.  Robbie Barrkman (owner of RoBar) is really good to work with and does first rate work.  He could most likely repair your damage and at the same time, reshape the grip to your liking.  Only difference is that HE will probably not leave a big hole in the grip when he is done!!  

Take heart though, Victor.  I can't speak for anyone else, but if you don't make any mistakes, you are probably not doing anything.  The important thing is that we learn from each mistake....... that's how we get better.  I have made plenty of mistakes that I would be too ashamed to admit on the board!!!!

Happy Trails and safe shooting,

Jeff

Victor, I reshaped my grip on my G21 and built up the side-panel areas with good old JB Weld, and gave them a little arch a-la palm swell type radius. I then covered them with skateboard tape. A year and half later and about 15,000 rounds and everything is still intact.