Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proper Load For Sti .40

NODAK

Just purchased a Brazos Edge,I do not reload and have been using 180 gr. round,is there any advise on other choices that may run better. Any particular brand?

I've used the search engine but most info is for reloading,got tired of searching.

Edited by NODAK

OK, so you are most likely shooting limited or Limited 10.

Buying factory is gonna put you way up there in PF.

Buying a 650 to reload will allow you to tailor your loads to better fit your gun, and the reloader will pay for itself in 12 months for an average USPSA shooter, average meaning activity/number of matches shot.

After that, it is just gravy!!

Just my thoughts.

If you are not going to reload then I reccomend buying Precision Delta Long Major ammo or call Atlanta Arms & Ammo for their load. Both of these load specifically for USPSA PF and length.

Edited by jasmap

The Precision Delta stuff is the way to go as others have mentioned. In the meantime, you can probably use Winchester White Box to get you started. I've gotten it at Wal-Mart for as low as $17.95 per hundred and it runs 100% in my STI. They make it in both 165gr and 180gr....try to find the 180gr if you can. Either shoots acceptably accurate out of my gun, but with my handloads I cut the 25yd group size in half. I'd be willing to bet that the Precision Delta stuff would do the same. It's probably because the STI chamber is cut long and WWB has a long jump to get to the rifling where the PD is longer.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are going to shoot once a month or more, get to know some of the guys you shoot with and I am sure they will offer you to reload on their machine, you just have to buy the components. Then you will want a reloader for yourself. If you shoot only one match a month and shoot just a pistol, no rifle, then you may be able to get a used square deal b. If you buy new, get a Dillon 550 or 650. Shooting a bunch and buying new can get expensive, unless you shoot a 9mm.

Redwoods.

The Precision Delta load is also less expensive than most of the factory loads. As stated get the 180 gr Long load it will feed better than the shorter round.

You should probably start reloading on your own machine - or a friends - out to 1.200" OAL or more. Most S_I guns won't run reliably on short ammo & you will get the occasional jam. Why risk it? If you must buy loaded ammo, the Precision Delta is loaded long enough for an STI (but will not fit the magazine of other .40s - like a Glock).