Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading ?' For A S&w 610 Revolver

Hog Sniper

So I'm about to start reloading for my model 610 3 7/8 barrel...

First Question:

Is there an advantage to using a 10MM case and down loading it to 40 specs in order to move the bullet closer to the forcing cone? I have an almost unlimited supply of 40 brass to load but I wouldnt mind loading some 10MM brass for matches etc. if its worth it.....

Second question:

I just bought a boatload of Hornady 180 grain LSWC.. Does anyone have any good load data for a cast lead bullet? Is the barrel too short to make major without taking a beating?

Third question:

Is Clays a good all around powder to use in 40 as well as 45? I want to keep things simple.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Hi Gary

we met a summer Blast

With a lead cast bullet start at 4.4 grains WST winchester super target

with plated you will need about 5.2 grains WST

never loaded clays into a 40

40 brass is very common and easy to get, 10mm take to long to load and unload from the gun.

I have always shot mixed brass from the local police range.

O.A.L. 1.125 I also load them a little shorter for the 610

Hope this helps

Gary

I only load 40 S&W brass for use in both my S&W610 and 646. I use very light loads with ca. 3.6-3.9 gr. WST behind 155-180 gr. lead, plated or jacketed bullets. The velociteies are in the 800 fps range and are veryy accurate.

So I'm about to start reloading for my model 610 3 7/8 barrel...

First Question:

Is there an advantage to using a 10MM case and down loading it to 40 specs in order to move the bullet closer to the forcing cone? I have an almost unlimited supply of 40 brass to load but I wouldnt mind loading some 10MM brass for matches etc. if its worth it.....

Second question:

I just bought a boatload of Hornady 180 grain LSWC.. Does anyone have any good load data for a cast lead bullet? Is the barrel too short to make major without taking a beating?

Third question:

Is Clays a good all around powder to use in 40 as well as 45? I want to keep things simple.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Like cheetahs says, use the 40S&W cases because they are shorter and offer a better reload. Use RN bullets for competition, again for better reloads.

Here's some starting points for Clays. Good powder, love it. I use <200gr bullets for ICORE so I don't have much data to make major with them. You'll find the lead bullets speed to be about the same as molys. Yes you might lose a little speed with a 4" barrel compared to my 5".

I prefer a 200gr bullet for revolver major (softer recoil, makes people mumble about getting the chrono out to check my loads, he..he..). You should consider using the 185 lead for practice and get some 200gr for competition.

Out of a 5" 610

180RN Berry's 2.7gr Clays 689FPS 124PF 1.134OAL

180RN Berry's 3.1gr Clays 785FPS 141PF 1.134OAL

180RN Berry's 4.2gr Clays 951FPS 171PF 1.134OAL

185RNFP Precison (moly) 2.5gr Clays 727FPS 135PF 1.15OAL

185RNFP Precison (moly) 3.0gr Clays 818FPS 151PF 1.15OAL

I have found that SR7625 is very good for making .40 Major but for some reason it seems not many people use it. Also, 800X produces very low pressure but it doesn't meter worth a damn in my 550. I get dangerously inconsistent charges and I'm not about to weigh them one at a time.

Dave Sinko

I've actually found that even with my 6.5" barrelled classic, I have better control and speed utilizing minor power factor with my 610 and 140 gr moly coated lead bullets. I tried using the heavier bullets to major and even the light bullets to major and it was taking way too much time to recover so I stuck with the 140 RN's from Bear Creek loaded to about 135 power factor. It's a fairly flat shooting revolver and very quick to re-align the front sights. My current load is 4.0 gr of Ramshot Competition utilzing Federal Small pistol primers, moon clips by RIMZ and Winchester 40 S&W brass loaded to 1.140". Major in the 610 was manageable but I prefer using one load for ICORE/IPSC so I chose to shoot all minor all the time. I get very few D hits if I can help it.

Vince

Edited by sargenv